Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Interesting Alpine Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    It's a little off-topic, but Dolly Varden are NOT sea-run bull trout. In fact, Dolly Varden may not be sea-run at all, and some bull trout populations do go to the sea.

And Alberta would be the east slope of the rockies...
    I admit I don't know the taxonomy of Dolly Varden, I shouldn't have said that.

I do know that Alberta is on the East slope and should have clarified my statement. In what I've read on Bull Trout's native territory, the Bull Trout in Alberta are the only populations on East Slope.

Hey, I'm just calling them as I see them. Not laker...not splake...not brookies....not Dolly's....they be bulls.

Distribution is a weird thing....if not for glaciation, things would be nice and homogenous....but not once but twice, glaciers affected fish distribution. And apart from 45 gallon drum migration into areas....you find species in the weirdest places.

By the way, I never said lakes have a black leading edge on their fins. i also never talked about ADULT lakers relative to this discussion...I talked about juvies only....and for that, as a general diagnostic....laker juvies typically don't have a distinguishable leading edge.

As for bullet vs. pointy noses...again...diagnostically speaking, its a weak one (just like fork tails for bulls at juvie stage).....ADULTS morph to various nose shapes for males and females..JUVIEs...are blunt.

Ah whatever....I wasn't there....somewhere in here is a punch line, but in explaining it, its not fun(ny) anymore.

King Joe Outa Here!

I think the only reasonable way to solve this is a field-trip to that beautiful looking fishing spot and several solid days fishing.
    - William

4. Likes mbchilton liked this post

I don't have any knowledge of what you've got there, but I'm curious what you find out. Keep us posted.
    Read my fishing blog RodandRivet.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123