Dumb question about drift boats

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Ok, so here is something I have been wondering about for a while now. All the time I see two or three guys unload a drift boat into the water and head down river. After you float ten miles, how do you get the trailer down to the take out point? Hitch hike? I know this is a silly question, but honestly I don't know.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The answer is 'the other guys.' One drops his car/truck off at the pull out and off to the 'put in.' Do the float to the pull out and (if only two of you, a bit of driving back and forth) two and both head back up stream.

One other in the boat a bit of driving back and 'froth.' Two both go and bring both vech. back. Worst case is the shuttle (have TWO SETS of keys!!)

End game is you don't want to leave your boat/gear unintended (couldn't resist the bad pun) at the pull out. Very old story but know of one fellow who did I'll do a hike/thumb ride back and back at the pull out there was no boat, no gear, no nuttin.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
When we fish the Green below Fontenelle Reservoir, you have to provide your own shuttle, as it is pretty remote area and there are no fly shops. There is an old run down convenience store that rents drift boats, but they won't do shuttles. So you either bring two cars, a bicycle or small dirt bike. Last time I was down there I saw two skiffs floating the river with bikes tucked in the back. That is the main reason that when I go down there by myself, I hardley ever take the drift boat, instead I opt to wade.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Ok, so here is something I have been wondering about for a while now. All the time I see two or three guys unload a drift boat into the water and head down river. After you float ten miles, how do you get the trailer down to the take out point? Hitch hike? I know this is a silly question, but honestly I don't know.
Go watch "Deliverance", that'll give you a demo. And hope & prey you don't encounter any "locals" like the ones in that flic.
(Sorry, little levity there, couldn't help it.)

pb_colorado

Reaction score
I got sick of hitching on our shuttles, so I put a small motorcycle on the front of my truck. I got the idea from an RV that I saw that had a small moped on the front in a similar manner, and I thought it would work on my truck. I installed a front receiver hitch and bought a m/c carrier, and it has worked great for the last two seasons. I have seen a few other rafters doing the same here in Colorado, and the biggest limitation is your vehicle (make sure it will take the weight of the bike on the front). I have also seen a number of folks have the m/c carrier integrated into their trailer, so the raft and m/c are both on the trailer.

If I pass the take out on the way to the put in, I drop the m/c and leave the truck/trailer empty at the put in. If I arrive at the put in first, I unload the raft and gear and then drive to the take out, and leave the empty trailer there to ride the m/c back to the put in. We also consider the time we will likely take off the river - if it will be late and getting dark, I always try to have the empty trailer at the take out so we can load up while there is still a little light.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I got sick of hitching on our shuttles, so I put a small motorcycle on the front of my truck. I got the idea from an RV that I saw that had a small moped on the front in a similar manner, and I thought it would work on my truck. I installed a front receiver hitch and bought a m/c carrier, and it has worked great for the last two seasons. I have seen a few other rafters doing the same here in Colorado, and the biggest limitation is your vehicle (make sure it will take the weight of the bike on the front). I have also seen a number of folks have the m/c carrier integrated into their trailer, so the raft and m/c are both on the trailer.

If I pass the take out on the way to the put in, I drop the m/c and leave the truck/trailer empty at the put in. If I arrive at the put in first, I unload the raft and gear and then drive to the take out, and leave the empty trailer there to ride the m/c back to the put in. We also consider the time we will likely take off the river - if it will be late and getting dark, I always try to have the empty trailer at the take out so we can load up while there is still a little light.

Sweet setup! I saw something like that on the Green below Fontenelle reservoir one year, he had integrated the m/c carrier into the front of the boat trailer (as you mentioned). I thought having the m/c carrier setup to be really a great idea, especially down there where no one does shuttles.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

:weight_li So am I the only one that rows back to the put in point? :weight_li
So what type of boat are you using that you can physically row back up stream, surly not a drift boat or raft?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
:weight_li So am I the only one that rows back to the put in point? :weight_li
Hey Larry, I think Champ is kidding...............right? You are, right :p

Larry mentioned bicycles; I used to carry my Trek Y3 in the boat with me back east and then ride it back to my truck when I was completely alone on Big Pine Creek. if you choose this method, I wouldn't float more than 15 miles at a time. After a long day floating and wading the last thing you need is a 22 mile bike ride in hilly country, how do I know this......:shades:

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: When Chase, Rob and I were floating the Bighorn in May, there was an older couple with a bike in the back of their drift boat. Each day he would ride his bike back to the put in. For the price of a shuttle ($25) it just isn't worth it to me after a long day of fishing, but a bike sure works well on the Green below Fontenelle, most of those floats are around 7 miles, so that wouldn't be too bad on a bike.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used shuttles whenever they are available. Back when I used the bike there were 2 things at play; no shuttles, and I used to ride about 1500 miles/year so bikeing was fun. The 22 mile ride back to Blackwell one evening turned into 'one night' and I learned to shorten my floats when using the bike.

al_a

Reaction score
On the most popular rivers there are usually shuttle services that do nothing but shuttle vehicles. There are two on the Yellowstone in the Livingston area, Hooters and B&G's. Since the river is very heavily floated and has very convenient access points, it's probably a profitable business. I think the way they do a lot of it is to use a big van to drive a group of drivers to the uppermost put-in, drive those vehicles to their take-out, which is the put-in for the next group of vehicles, drive those to the next access, and all the way down to the lower end. Most of the guides seem to put in and take out at about the same times. I can speak from experience that they gripe a little when you put in a lot later in the day and mess up their system. Mostly you call them, tell them where and when you're putting in and taking out and when you'll want your vehicle at the take out, give them your license plate number and where you'll leave the key, and where you'll leave the cash in the vehicle. This year they are charging from $30-45, depending upon how far away your float is from Livingston.

There was a guy last year that set up at the take-out on the lower Madison with a big van and drove people back to the put-in to pick up their cars all afternoon. Since the lower Madison is Bozeman's and Montana State's party river, it's crowded enough that he was kept really busy.

Some areas, like in the Ozarks, have canoe liveries on the rivers that will shuttle private vehicles, but this is getting rarer because the insurance companies don't like them driving somebody else's vehicle. So many are now loading your canoe on their vehicle and driving you to the put-in, or if you're putting in at their place, driving their vehicle to the take-out to pick you up.

The sweetest way to do it if you are using whatever kind of boats that you can carry two to a vehicle (canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats on larger trailers, etc.) is to do piggyback floats. Two to four anglers in two boats, all in one vehicle, on a river with two back to back float stretches of similar length. You drive to the uppermost put-in, one boat and guys put in there, the other guys then drive the vehicle to the first guys' take-out, which is their put-in. They put in, and the vehicle is there for the first guys when they arrive at their take-out. Then they load up and drive it down to the second guys' take-out and pick them up. It's a do-it-yourself shuttle that saves a lot on gas.

macklin

Reaction score
Asking how shuttles work is not a dumb question. It is maybe one of the last great problems in drift boating, sometimes takes longer than the float.

But I am verry interested in the frontend hitch mount. I've got an olde Honda Trail110 and would love to use it for that. What did it take to add the hitchmount? Can't tell the make on your truck, mine's an 08 Tundra.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Asking how shuttles work is not a dumb question. It is maybe one of the last great problems in drift boating, sometimes takes longer than the float.

But I am verry interested in the frontend hitch mount. I've got an olde Honda Trail110 and would love to use it for that. What did it take to add the hitchmount? Can't tell the make on your truck, mine's an 08 Tundra.
Go to a place that sells "RV's," most do this stuff all the time. Don't cringe when they tell you 'How Much.' Tow bar, wiring, brake connections, etc., is a hell of a job even for someone who knows what they're doing.

This 'stuff' is NOT a DIY! Every vech. is different ...... even if you 'can.' Many vech's, you can't.

Fred

pb_colorado

Reaction score
sorry i did not reply sooner, i have been moving over the past couple months. i need to change my member name, i have relocated to Boise, Idaho now.

as for the front mount hitch, i have done two vehicles DIY with only minor issues and challenges. the first was my 2000 F-150 pictured above, and the second my 2004 Ford E-350 van (converted a 15 passenger van to a redneck rv "van down by the river").

in both cases, i was able to find a front mount "standard" receiver hitch to fit each vehicle made by Curt Hitches. they seem to be quite popular and available for most trucks because 4x4 folks put them on off road vehicles and then have winches in the receiver. both were pre-drilled and ready to be mounted directly to the frame of my truck and van, and the hardest part was using the included fish wire to snake the mounting bolts through a hole in the frame and into place. on my van it became too difficult (after 2 hrs of trying) and i just took the front bumper off to complete the install. i also had to cut a piece of sheet metal "rock guard" under my truck, but was able to do it with a saws-all.

after mounting the receiver hitch, i got a standard hitch mount motorcycle carrier that easily installs on any receiver hitch. my headlights and blinkers were visible through the carried motorcycle, so i did not do any re-wiring or additional lights yet. the motorcycle blocks the headlights on my van a little, so i plan to mount some fog lights on the motorcycle carrier to have some additional light for the long days when driving home in the dark.

the system works great for me, and was relatively easy to set up. i spent less than $200 on the receiver hitch and $150 on the motorcycle carrier, plus about one afternoon of my time for DIY install. i would think your Tundra has plenty of "capacity" to carry the additional weight up front, i think the added weight would only be an issue on smaller RWD trucks and SUVs. it should generally be ok to do on any truck/SUV you would put a snow plow on - my m/c weighs about 250 lbs +/- so it is probably less than most plows. glad to answer any questions you might have as you start your research. later.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Another option that my wife and I employed with our first drift boat, was two trailers. We had matching jeep Cherokees and one day it dawned us how cheap some used drift boat trailers are. This eliminated extra jockeying of vehicles. Each day they swap jobs as the put in and take out vehicles. Storing the second trailer isn’t much of a problem either. When not in use, just tip the first one up and tuck it under the tongue of the one with boat loaded on it. There’s nothing stopping two serious fishing buddies from taking the same plunge…..
Just watch your freeway speeds with the empty.

TT

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have very steep shuttle rates around these parts. Makes me a little angry but it is what it is.

The new Pirate that bought Leroy's pleasure park charges 60$ and up.

Roaring Fork/Rado 40-50.

Plus there are a lot of folks who float. Ah well. Sometimes I just use my good ole thumb to get back up river.