Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
    Blog Entries

Default Fly Fishing Western Wyoming

Here is a report on a couple days of fishing, the first day was an afternoon wade on the Green up above Warren Bridge, I like that spot as I can bring the new dog and let her run while I fish. As the camping season gets into high gear, that spot won't be an option, but for now there usually isn't anyone up there. The second day was a float on a local stream, and a maiden voyage for the dog. Ard had mentioned awhile back that he bought his dog a doggie PDF, so I looked online and found one. Seeing how I was using the NFO Rampage pontoon, I was a little worried about the dog jumping out, but she did really well, I only had to stop her a couple times, looks like I have a new fishing companion. She had a great time, but was totally exhausted when we got home, not sure if that was from chasing all the birds along the beaches or just being out in the hot sun all day or maybe a little of both. My GF bought a new horse blanket so that solved my problem of the pontoon boat getting too hot for the dog, so I put the horse blanket to good use.
    The first day I caught 8-9 fish, but they were all Whities, I couldn't buy a trout, even though I worked a half mile section of water. Oh well it was fun anyway, just never experienced a day quite like that before.

Green River above Warren Bridge, this is a great section of water to wade as it is all on BLM land and for you campers it is FREE. I think there are 12 camping areas along the river spread out over 15-20 miles.

As you can see, there are lots of nice boulders in this stretch for the fish.

The pontoon boat equipped with horse blanket to help keep the heat off the new dog.

It's always fun to see a moose and her calf working the willows along the river.

Kerry Pitt was kind enough to send me a couple "Mrs Stewart" streamers to try out down here in Wyoming. Thank you very much Kerry! Sure with I could tie like that, that is one sweet looking streamer!

I believe this is a Mrs Stewart streamer wedged in the side of a nice looking Wyoming trout! Wish I had more photos, but I confess I got lazy, I snagged the fly on brush with an errant cast, pulled it free, didn't take the time to retie the knot and on the next fish (you can guess what happened), of course it was a very nice fish that must have jumped 4-5 times before getting off and stealing my streamer in the process. Oh well, why do I have to keep learning this lesson, I must be stubborn or just in too much of a hurry to get back fishing.

Early morning on a beautiful summer day in Wyoming, we made a full day out of it, getting to the boat ramp at 5:15 am and didn't reach the takeout until 5 pm, but boy was it a fun day on the water, especially after that long winter.

Another nice Brown this time with a North Platte Special, seeing how I had lost the Mrs Stewart streamer.

Another Brown, sorry about the picture quality:

A great looking Rainbow:

I started the day off committed to streamer fishing, I was catching fish but it was slower than normal, I saw fish coming up to the surface but continued along the streamer path. Finally, I come to this stretch, maybe 100 yards long and couldn't stand it any longer. Fish all along the far bank were working on the surface, so I breakout the dry fly rig, tie on a size 16 parachute adams, throw it into the bubble line along this seam(you can't see the bubble line in the photo) and bang on the first cast I'm into a nice sized rainbow. I worked that seam for about a 45 minutes and probably hooked into ten fish landing 4-5.
    Larry

Default Re: Fly Fishing Western Wyoming

Nice fish and report, isnt losing flies half of the job? thanks for sharing.
    -JB-

Blog Entries

Nice place,nice fish,fine weather,nobody in sight...what else?life is good
    Hope someone can take a pic of Ras and you on the pontoon boat next time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by branjg View Post
    Nice fish and report, isnt losing flies half of the job? thanks for sharing.
    Yesterday was a bad day for being a fly in my fly box. I think I must have lost at least 6-8 streamers as I was dredging the bottom to see if Walter was home and wanted to come out and play. I had the big 7 wt Z-Axis all rigged up with a nice sink tip and ready for action, but nothing over 20" came up and that guy spit the hook on me after a battle of about two minutes.

JP: I took (or at least I thought I took) a photo of RAS in the boat yesterday, and was surprised when I got home that it wasn't there. I'll pay better attention next time.
    Larry

looks like an awesome trip! I have never personally fished the green in wyoming I might have to check that out.. I always end up in Dutch john.. Do you like your pontoon boat?

Nice fish Larry!

I hope you don't run out of flies

Great post Larry.
    Been a couple years since I've been up there to fish with you, it amazes me how varied the landscape is from warren bridge on The Green, to the take out with the cliffs on the other river, on up to The Wind River Range. You have your own piece of paradise there around Pinedale.

From the looks of it the runoff on the Green is pretty much done?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by streamborn_jr77 View Post
    looks like an awesome trip! I have never personally fished the green in wyoming I might have to check that out.. I always end up in Dutch john.. Do you like your pontoon boat?
    Noah: I have both a drift boat and a pontoon, use the **** when I fish by myself, it is light and loads easily inflated into the back of the pickup, deflated it fits nicely in the back of the subaru. Dutch John is pretty hard to beat, I like to go down there at least once a year, I usually go in late April before the summer crowds, but didn't make it this year. If you come up this way give me a shout. I just bought myself one of those high density ice chests, I want to use it for camping of course, but thought it would work nicely as a seat strapped on the back of the ****.

John: Yes, the runoff is over, the rivers are running clear.
    Larry

9. Likes N/A liked this post

lol sounds good!