Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How are the water levels?

Yesterday, drove across the lower Gallatin near Logan.. it looked really low..
    Dave

"Hoot-owl" restrictions are eminent on the Clark Fork and Bitterroot, in fact most fisherman have already volunteered to stop fishing after 1pm. Water temps went over the magical 73 degree mark for 4 or 5 consecutive days on each rivers lower end last week. Bitterroot is just scary low, I wish that FWP would just put a mandatory restriction in place. The river has too much pressure and fishing in the evening puts a dangerous stress on the fish.

I think the Big Hole is close to, isn't it?

Dave

4. Likes dean_mt liked this post

More closures starting tomorrow.. see the link in post #20
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    "Hoot-owl" restrictions are eminent on the Clark Fork and Bitterroot, in fact most fisherman have already volunteered to stop fishing after 1pm. Water temps went over the magical 73 degree mark for 4 or 5 consecutive days on each rivers lower end last week. Bitterroot is just scary low, I wish that FWP would just put a mandatory restriction in place. The river has too much pressure and fishing in the evening puts a dangerous stress on the fish.

I think the Big Hole is close to, isn't it?
    Do you think that folks would adhere to the restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
    Do you think that folks would adhere to the restrictions?
    Hey Dan!
    Yeah, I think most folks do. All you can do is trust in the people. The fact is, its pretty hard to catch fish when the water is 74 degrees and its also pretty share to hide when you're rig is the only one in the parking lot.

Looking forward to October a little more every day.

Hard to believe that river water can get so warm.

I think about the trip every day. I'll give you a call soon to bring you up to date on the details.

The Bitterroot River is a trickle today. The irrigators and heat are taking their tolls, the mid-river is flowing just over 100 cfs ... which is insanely low. I don't even want to see it like that. Autumn can't come fast enough now...at least some showers and cold nights.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    The Bitterroot River is a trickle today. The irrigators and heat are taking their tolls, the mid-river is flowing just over 100 cfs ... which is insanely low. I don't even want to see it like that. Autumn can't come fast enough now...at least some showers and cold nights.
    As one who's intently interested in upcoming weather/stream conditions in western Montana in the early Fall because of my planned visit, let me ask a couple questions and I hope I don't sound too dumb here. But I understand that as we get into September we can expect relief from high temps, but what about the stream water levels ? Do you expect them to be higher simply because there's less draw-down from irrigation in September, because that area won't be getting any significant precip until later on from winter snows, right ?

I'm with Jim here.........I am concerned with a 100 mile radius of West Yellowstone........I like to fish, but I will not risk the catch......just for the reward...........coming out sept. 7 to the 13........any input would be greatly appreciated........
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast