How are the water levels?

dean_mt

Reaction score
I left Western Montana on July 1 for a two week family trip back to the Midwest. When I left the rivers were dropping like someone pulled the drain plug at the end of the world. I was wondering what it would look like when I returned on July 14 as the fishing season has seemed to be about a month advanced since spring and mid-July is usually the best summer fishing we get before the August shutdown.

The rivers are certainly down here but not dire. Rock Creek has dropped to late summer levels while the Bitterroot is about to hit 300 cfs today at the upper-middle river. Looking at the historic flow charts, the Bitterroot never gets down to 300 cfs - it's historic average low flow is around August 15 and that is 375 cfs. It could get scary with it getting hot and the irrigaters opening up the spigots.

I hope that all the waters in your areas are not suffering the same fate.

I plan on hitting some water tomorrow evening after dinner and fishing until I can't see! Get it while you can.

dhayden

Reaction score
This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants

mattneeds

Reaction score
Since I really only consistently fish the Missouri I'll comment on it. Water is low about 2900 cfs, luckily the water temps are staying strong in the low to mid 60's.

al_a

Reaction score
Yellowstone is lower than normal, dropping through 4000 cfs this past weekend at Livingston. Temps have been getting up into the lower 60s, but not too warm yet. Could definitely be "not good" by August.

al_a

Reaction score
Just heard there was a big storm today up by Corwin on the Yellowstone which flooded a couple creeks and caused a mudslide that blocked Hwy. 89. I suspect the Yellowstone will be muddy for a few days.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I hope there will be some cool water around West Yellowstone in mid september..........:icon_eek:
Mid September used to be reliable good conditions but last few years its been hot! But the weather is much different in W MT than in Yellowstone. You'll be fine.

Last night was only the third time in recorded wx history that the low temp in Missoula did not get under 70! Its still 92 at 6:45pm.

Last edited:

yonder

Reaction score
I hope so......Mid sept, was the only time my son could take vacation......I would have preferred late October on the Madison.......maybe I can do one of those "rain dances" and send some of our eastern monsoon moisture out west.......we have more rain here than we can handle this year........sometimes it either feast of famine.........

stenacron

Reaction score
This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants
How was the Gallatin fishing? I'll be in Yellowstone with my family next week and already assumed that the Madison, Firehole (of course), and Gibbon will be shut down.

dhayden

Reaction score
Gallatin: Very nice... need to try the valley section - see if there's hopper action yet (which is a little early).. nice PMD, Caddis and Yellow Sallies action

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy,

That's what I call results! You guys did a great job on answering the original post. Just another example of this community at work helping one another!

Bravo

dhayden

Reaction score
In the paper today:

High water temperatures and low flows on the Madison and Big Hole rivers have prompted state officials to restrict fishing on portions of those waters.

Beginning July 22, no fishing will be allowed from 2 p.m. to midnight on the lower Madison River from Ennis Dam (east of McAllister) to the mouth and on the upper Big Hole River from the headwaters outside Jackson to Dickey Bridge.

Fishing to be restricted on parts of Madison and Big Hole rivers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment

B

blackbugger

In the paper today:

High water temperatures and low flows on the Madison and Big Hole rivers have prompted state officials to restrict fishing on portions of those waters.

Beginning July 22, no fishing will be allowed from 2 p.m. to midnight on the lower Madison River from Ennis Dam (east of McAllister) to the mouth and on the upper Big Hole River from the headwaters outside Jackson to Dickey Bridge.

Fishing to be restricted on parts of Madison and Big Hole rivers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment
Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be a really tough summer. I'm disappointed.
Water temps on the lower G, Smith, Jeff routinely hitting the high 70s.
If the temps don't moderate we are going to see some wide ranging closures again like we did during the worst of the drought years.

I'm too lazy to look up the Big Hole's guidelines for closure but it won't surprise me if they close the whole thing again when it gets down under 200cfs at Melrose.
It's already hitting the mid 70's down there. Sad.:(

Meanwhile I'm in Minnesota and it won't stop raining here.:mad:
The Mississippi should be half as big as it is. The smallmouth fishing has been tough though the fish that are eating are big.
I'm going to hit up Wisconsin for a couple days next week before coming back to Montana, assuming the north country doesn't get nailed by another huge deluge and the rivers all blow out, again.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. There are bound to be a lot of closures this summer. The Clark Fork went over 70 last week at Superior ... but that section is already closed due to the fire that keeps on growing down there. It's mid July for crying out loud!

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, peak run-off was a full month early and so it fire season.

I did find some really cold water today, which made me feel good all the way around...and that was before I caught a couple nice cutties. I had to work for it, but it was great.

Fish early, guys. It really is the only safe time, when daytime temps peak at 5 or 6 pm water temps don't peak until after that. So when the sun is sinking and the fish are feeding try to let them be if its warm water. They are really vulnerable at that time. The water temps don't bottom out till early a.m.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I hope so......Mid sept, was the only time my son could take vacation......I would have preferred late October on the Madison.......maybe I can do one of those "rain dances" and send some of our eastern monsoon moisture out west.......we have more rain here than we can handle this year........sometimes it either feast of famine.........
Do it, man!! Dance your ass off for me! :punk:

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. There are bound to be a lot of closures this summer. The Clark Fork went over 70 last week at Superior ... but that section is already closed due to the fire that keeps on growing down there. It's mid July for crying out loud!

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, peak run-off was a full month early and so it fire season.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Do it, man!! Dance your ass off for me! :punk:
Ouch ! That sure doesn't bode well for fishing conditions during my early fall (late Sept/early Oct) fishing trip plans in the Northern Rockies this year. Hopefully there will still be some reasonably good access to a few streams out that way in a couple months ?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Ouch ! That sure doesn't bode well for fishing conditions during my early fall (late Sept/early Oct) fishing trip plans in the Northern Rockies this year. Hopefully there will still be some reasonably good access to a few streams out that way in a couple months ?
Late September / early October will be fine. Once the nights start getting longer in late August the water temps regulate. Right now its the low water combined with the above average heat (high 80s to 90) that causes problems.

Where are you coming to in the fall?

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Where are you coming to in the fall?
I will definitely be in your "neck of the woods" in SouthWestern Montana with top priorities being the Beaverhead, the Big Hole, and the Gallatin. Now I never have any luck in the Gallatin, but it's one of the best streams for wading (that's what I do), and the Gallatin River Canyon is such spectacular scenery, frankly it ain't no big deal if I strike out with the trout. And as you know
Rock Creek is a really good stream where I've had success, but so much pressure being so close to Missoula.
But since I'm flying into SLC this year I expect to also hit the Provo down there and maybe a couple places in between in Idaho and/or Wyoming.