Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bighorn River Float Trip

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,777
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by macklin View Post
    I'm a newbie to the forum, but have +50 years FF. If you would, did you use a Wyo based boat, or did you bring one in?

    Some friends and I canoed the Hoback/Greys/Snake last month, and brought our boats in from Colo. We had all done the AIS registration beforehand, and I stopped once for the inspection and drove to Jackson. Another one of our group came in a different route, stopped at the first inspection station she saw, got checked and cleared and drove on. When she drove past another station later, a ranger chased her down and told her she was supposed to stop at ALL inspection stations.

    I drift boat in a Vanguard raft and was thinking about heading up to the Snake, but I move it rolled in my truck and have no interest in unpacking and showing it every 100 miles or so.

    What's the real rules?
    I have no idea. I live in Pinedale and just hooked the drift boat to the truck and drove over to the Bighorn, didn't see any check stations so I didn't get checked. I guess I need to run down to Game and Fish and see what the rules are. I know they have check stations on Fremont lake and Boulder lake, but I have never used them. Last year when I went over to Boulder lake, I just put in on one of the beaches and fished, didn't go down to the boat ramp as I was using a pontoon. I'll let you know what I find out.

    Larry
    Larry


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sidney, Nebraska
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    Another successful Bighorn trip! I recognize a few of the spots from the pictures. Looks like you guys got some nice fish. I just got back from the upper Encampment area. We hiked in and fished two days there and hit a bunch of small streams and beaver ponds on the way back for bookies. Caught almost every fish of the trip on a big foam hopper or big bushy dry. Pics to come!

  3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,777
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by chased View Post
    Another successful Bighorn trip! I recognize a few of the spots from the pictures. Looks like you guys got some nice fish. I just got back from the upper Encampment area. We hiked in and fished two days there and hit a bunch of small streams and beaver ponds on the way back for bookies. Caught almost every fish of the trip on a big foam hopper or big bushy dry. Pics to come!
    Chase: Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your Encampment trip report! Great to hear you had some great dry fly fishing.

    Larry
    Larry


  5. Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    I will find your results interesting. All the state website says is you have to register and be inspected.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    beautiful fish! I swear u guys live the dream! lol hopefully some day i can do the same lol!

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,777
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by streamborn_jr77 View Post
    beautiful fish! I swear u guys live the dream! lol hopefully some day i can do the same lol!
    We are indeed blessed, this is a great place to fly fish! You are more than welcome to drive over and fish with me once you get back in country.

    Larry
    Larry


  8. #17
    mridenour Guest

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    I finally have some time to get on the forum. The trip to Wyoming was amazing and it was awesome to meet Larry and fish with him. I'm going to put together a fishing report on the trip in the next couple of days. We had an amazing time.

    Thanks again Larry for making our day on the Bighorn really special.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,777
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

    Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    I finally have some time to get on the forum. The trip to Wyoming was amazing and it was awesome to meet Larry and fish with him. I'm going to put together a fishing report on the trip in the next couple of days. We had an amazing time.

    Thanks again Larry for making our day on the Bighorn really special.
    You're welcome, but you guys also made it a really fun float for me also, I had a blast, just wish the hoppers were a little more active, I love that top water action, but we landed some really nice trout anyway. I hope we can get together sometime in the future and do another float together! Looking forward to seeing your trip report.

    Larry
    Larry


  10. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Green River, WY Float Trip
    By mcnerney in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
  2. Float Trip Watauga River 8-16-12
    By flyfishcyca in forum Southern U.S.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM
  3. Green River Float Trip
    By mcnerney in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •