Bighorn River Float Trip

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike (mridenour) and his good buddy Rick are currently doing a nine day fishing trip in the Cody, WY area, so it was a good opportunity to get together for a float on the Bighorn. We meet up yesterday at the boat ramp and had a great time (finally getting a chance to meet Mike in person) and an epic day of fishing even though the hoppers weren't out as we had hoped for, maybe we were a little early or they just aren't out in force this year. Here are a few photos from the trip.

stimulator2

Reaction score
Larry: Once again that a nice post of some great fish.Looks like ya'll are having a great time with some other forum members.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Shannon: Thanks, yes it has been fun fishing with some of the members and getting to meet them face to face. Last week with Muzzy (muzz flaco) and this week with Mike (mridenour). Anyone else coming through this part of Wyoming, feel free to give me a shout and maybe we can get out on the water for some fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You sure are having some fun this summer Larry. Those rivers there have to be loaded with trout because everyone always catches beauties. Meeting the members would be really cool too, makes me wish I was down there instead of so far off the beaten trail. If I were still in CO. I'd be up there every year to float with you.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: You will always be welcome to float with me anytime you are in the neighborhood! Yes, I agree, I have had a blast getting to meet face-to-face with some of the forum members and getting a chance to wet a line together.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That goes both way you know :) Leaving here during the summer is very hard for me to do. After waiting through the long cold dark winter dreaming only of a decent season, it's hard, even if I were coming to Wyoming.

If you come here I'll take you up that river I have been telling you about. That will supply enough excitement to last a while. The fishing on the destination is really good but it's the trip that seems to stick in my mind more. If you wait another year the cabin will be much more comfy too ;)

There's always a chance that I could come down next fall, is October too late?

troutn

Reaction score
My name is Rick Whisman. My user name is troutn. I just joined a few days ago after fishing with Mike and Larry. Lucky enough to get personalized truck plates in Missouri as "troutn"! I have been fly fishing for 8 years. I fish for all species of trout, steelhead, salmon and whatever else I can hook on my fly rod! My primary areas to fish are the areas around Missouri. Lucky enough to still have a few more days left on a 9 day trip to the Cody area.

Thanks again Larry for the trip! It was awesome

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
My name is Rick Whisman. My user name is troutn. I just joined a few days ago after fishing with Mike and Larry. Lucky enough to get personalized truck plates in Missouri as "troutn"! I have been fly fishing for 8 years. I fish for all species of trout, steelhead, salmon and whatever else I can hook on my fly rod! My primary areas to fish are the areas around Missouri. Lucky enough to still have a few more days left on a 9 day trip to the Cody area.

Thanks again Larry for the trip! It was awesome
Rick: Welcome to the forum! That float trip was awesome and meeting both you and Mike really made it special! Congrats on landing all those Wyoming trout. Have a great time fishing in the Cody area.

macklin

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the forum, but have +50 years FF. If you would, did you use a Wyo based boat, or did you bring one in?

Some friends and I canoed the Hoback/Greys/Snake last month, and brought our boats in from Colo. We had all done the AIS registration beforehand, and I stopped once for the inspection and drove to Jackson. Another one of our group came in a different route, stopped at the first inspection station she saw, got checked and cleared and drove on. When she drove past another station later, a ranger chased her down and told her she was supposed to stop at ALL inspection stations.

I drift boat in a Vanguard raft and was thinking about heading up to the Snake, but I move it rolled in my truck and have no interest in unpacking and showing it every 100 miles or so.

What's the real rules?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the forum, but have +50 years FF. If you would, did you use a Wyo based boat, or did you bring one in?

Some friends and I canoed the Hoback/Greys/Snake last month, and brought our boats in from Colo. We had all done the AIS registration beforehand, and I stopped once for the inspection and drove to Jackson. Another one of our group came in a different route, stopped at the first inspection station she saw, got checked and cleared and drove on. When she drove past another station later, a ranger chased her down and told her she was supposed to stop at ALL inspection stations.

I drift boat in a Vanguard raft and was thinking about heading up to the Snake, but I move it rolled in my truck and have no interest in unpacking and showing it every 100 miles or so.

What's the real rules?
I have no idea. I live in Pinedale and just hooked the drift boat to the truck and drove over to the Bighorn, didn't see any check stations so I didn't get checked. I guess I need to run down to Game and Fish and see what the rules are. I know they have check stations on Fremont lake and Boulder lake, but I have never used them. Last year when I went over to Boulder lake, I just put in on one of the beaches and fished, didn't go down to the boat ramp as I was using a pontoon. I'll let you know what I find out.

Larry

chased

Reaction score
Another successful Bighorn trip! I recognize a few of the spots from the pictures. Looks like you guys got some nice fish. I just got back from the upper Encampment area. We hiked in and fished two days there and hit a bunch of small streams and beaver ponds on the way back for bookies. Caught almost every fish of the trip on a big foam hopper or big bushy dry. Pics to come!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Another successful Bighorn trip! I recognize a few of the spots from the pictures. Looks like you guys got some nice fish. I just got back from the upper Encampment area. We hiked in and fished two days there and hit a bunch of small streams and beaver ponds on the way back for bookies. Caught almost every fish of the trip on a big foam hopper or big bushy dry. Pics to come!
Chase: Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your Encampment trip report! Great to hear you had some great dry fly fishing.

Larry

macklin

Reaction score
I will find your results interesting. All the state website says is you have to register and be inspected.

M

mridenour

I finally have some time to get on the forum. The trip to Wyoming was amazing and it was awesome to meet Larry and fish with him. I'm going to put together a fishing report on the trip in the next couple of days. We had an amazing time.

Thanks again Larry for making our day on the Bighorn really special.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I finally have some time to get on the forum. The trip to Wyoming was amazing and it was awesome to meet Larry and fish with him. I'm going to put together a fishing report on the trip in the next couple of days. We had an amazing time.

Thanks again Larry for making our day on the Bighorn really special.
You're welcome, but you guys also made it a really fun float for me also, I had a blast, just wish the hoppers were a little more active, I love that top water action, but we landed some really nice trout anyway. I hope we can get together sometime in the future and do another float together! Looking forward to seeing your trip report.

Larry