Cody, WY Fly Fishing Vacation

troutn

Reaction score
After fishing with Larry McNerny on the Bighorn, we went back to fish Trout Creek on the North Fork. Over a week, multiple 18-21" cutts and bows were caught. Water temps were ranging from 56-65 degrees. Successful techniques were high sticking two nymphs. Stone flies and wooly buggers followed by north fork specials of varying sizes were succescful for me. After working various lanes, would then swing the rig and hooked up with a fair amount of fish. The best was a 21" cutt caught on the swing! Quite the fight into the backing! With this heavier rig, my 7 wt did well.

Mike and I loved the fishing. Hated to take a work break and go back to St. Louis this week. Looking forward to another trip to Cody!
Here are a few photos of our trip:

Close up view:

Mikw with a great looking Brown Trout:

Here are some of the flies we found to be successful with in and around the Cody, WY area:

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like you guys had an awesome time up near Cody, WY. I think that is my favorite area in Wyoming, just gorgeous scenery all around that area of the state. I really enjoyed the float trip with did on the Bighorn, hoping we can get together for a repeat next year!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Rick, thanks for adding the additional photos. The smiles say it all, looks to be an incredible fishing trip, congrats!

Larry