Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: float trips

1. Default float trips

I would like to take my 13 yr. old daughter on a full day float trip in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend a great late summer, early fall float trip and guide within reasonable driving distance from Denver?

Blog Entries

Default Re: float trips

It is a long drive, but you could float the Grey Reef section of the North Platte (just south of Casper). In late May, I did a float with Adam Boehlke from the North Platte Lodge with my grandson (not quite 6) and we had a blast. I think my grandson caught just over 20 fish and Adam was great with him. The North Plate Lodge's number is 307-237-1182 if interested.
    Larry

Blog Entries

That's a great tip Larry! I'm actually thinking of a Grey Reef float trip myself in the next few weeks. I'm a Cowboy Drifter guy myself. They have some nice but simple cabins right on the river, and I've been before so it's hard to switch up when you have some affinity.

Does that section of the N Platte still fish well into mid/late August?

Jslo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jslo View Post
    That's a great tip Larry! I'm actually thinking of a Grey Reef float trip myself in the next few weeks. I'm a Cowboy Drifter guy myself. They have some nice but simple cabins right on the river, and I've been before so it's hard to switch up when you have some affinity.

Does that section of the N Platte still fish well into mid/late August?

Jslo
    I've only been there once in Aug and it was a disaster, weeds almost up to the top, at least on the Grey Reef, that is why a guided trip would be of value, they will know where to fish. By mid-Sept the weeds will be way down and streamer fishing will be good as well as nymph fishing.

Larry
    Larry

Roaring Fork 3.5 hours from Denver. Blue River, 2.5 hours from Denver. Colorado River, 3 hours from Denver. Fork has been fishing amazingly lately.
    Tight Lines!

6. Default Re: float trips

thanks for the info. I was going next week to Greys Reef but it may make sense to go more in the fall.

Roaring Fork sounds good. Any float guides to recommend?

Blog Entries

Know this wasn't part of your question, but are you sure she's good to go for a full day drift? One of my daughters was all about it and wanted more at the end of the day, while the other loved a half day, but 8 hrs was too much for her. Whatever is most fun for them is the answer...just asking

8. Default Re: float trips

great question. I'm sure some floats are more interesting to kids than others. I have floated some like the Black Canyon where I probably didn't even need my fishing rod. It was a great experience with lots to look at.

Its gonna depend on an interesting float, a good guide and good weather (as always!)

BTW, she can fish Middle Fork for 8 hours so I don't think it will be a problem (and take a nap back to Denver).

Blog Entries

I'm headed for Grey Reef this Thursday/Friday..I'll report back! I'm going with one of the best guides on the river....we'll see about the fish! lol.

10. Default Re: float trips

Why not go back to the lower Gunnison? A bit further of a drive but hard to beat the scenery.
    That's the black canyon in my avatar. I can't get enough of that place!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast