Lewis and Harks Big Hole Trip

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The two hacks (Paul and Dan) from back east are getting ready for another trip to Big Sky country. Although I have no(very few) regrets about last year’s trip, this years trip to the Big Hole should be better.

Clearly the best part of last year’s trip was meeting Dean_MT and fishing with him on his home waters of Missoula. Not only did we fish some nice water, but I got to meet a forum member that shared some precious water with us........you all may know the water as cutty creek, but I know the water as his.

Unfortunately, he did not have much time to fish with us during our stay and as a result, our trip was a complete failure and we blame him for last year’s poor fishing!

Sooooooooooooooo! This year, we are going allow him to redeem his reputation by meeting us on the Big Hole river in Melrose Montana in an attempt to set things right. This is “gunna be wicked good”.

PS>>>>>>I promise to do a better job taking/posting pictures and the fact that I stink as a fisherman can't be held against Dean_MT

Dan

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Dan, I didn't know last year was a complete failure. I quite enjoyed being driven to the river and drinking your beer! Not catching enough fish was a bummer. No guarantees in fishing, but I almost guarantee this year will be better. Almost only because of this darn drought and I don't k now what it will mean in October. Otherwise, October is always better than September and the BH is simply one of the best places, anywhere.

Can't wait to see you guys.

silver creek

Reaction score
Hope you guys have a great trip. Your post's title, "Lewis and Harks" reminds me of a photo I have by Ron Schmidt of his dogs, "Lewie and Clark."

So Lewis and Harks, meet Lewie and Clark below.

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey John,

I was just kidding about the trip being a complete failure. More fish would have been nice but it was still a great time.

dhayden

Reaction score
Nice!

I lost some nippers last time I was there.. if you can pick them up and mail them.. I'd appreciate it.. lol

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey John,

I was just kidding about the trip being a complete failure. More fish would have been nice but it was still a great time.
I know that Dan, I know. After all you got to meet me! And see a drag show!! :wavetowel

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Nice!

I lost some nippers last time I was there.. if you can pick them up and mail them.. I'd appreciate it.. lol
Have you been there recently, Dave? I'd love to hear some first hand accounts of any recent fishing...but I guess recent means about 4 weeks ago for fishing the BH. On the plus side, those fish haven't seen many flies this year.

dhayden

Reaction score
I was there in July

Last year.. October.. they were still on the chubbies too (red and purple)

You going to float or wade? Going for Grayling too, or just Trout?

dean_mt

Reaction score
I was there in July

Last year.. October.. they were still on the chubbies too (red and purple)

You going to float or wade? Going for Grayling too, or just Trout?
We'll be wading, at least while I'm there. Dan and Lewis will be there for a week though, not sure if they are going to try to float a day. Or would be more like dragging your boat?

dharkin

Reaction score
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! sounds like Dave took the bait John. Come on Dave, it isn't too far for you.

By the way, I forgot about the drag show at our hotel! HOLY SMOKES That was a trip for sure. I will never forget Paul's reaction..........."wow, those women are big"........"what do you mean they aren't women"?.........."Do you mean to tell me that they are Happy People"?..........that was too funny.

Thanks for the reminder.

dhayden

Reaction score
If I could walk without looking like a Monty Python skit.. I'd meet you there

shortyb

Reaction score
I sent Dean a pm with a few points of interest. It's been a few years since I was out there, wish to get back there some time soon. The owners of the motel I manage used to live in Melrose, I hear great stories all the time about the big hole.

Just remember it's about the journey not the amount of fish. ;)

dmadsen

Reaction score
We just got back from Dilloon/Melrose. Raft floated the Big Hole last Sunday, fishing was excellent Maidenrock to Melrose. They opened the Melrose to Notch Bottom stretch today. I believe it's still closed above Dickey Bridge where the Grayling tend to be. You may just have to settle for a bunch of Browns & the occasional 'Bow. Ask for the Huckleberry dressing for your salad at the Hitchin' Post. There is maybe a decent stretch of the Red Rock between Clark Canyon & the public/private fence that could be worth your time. Just say'n. Enjoy!

dhayden

Reaction score
Last obstacle cleared for you:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Last Fishing Restrictions in Region 3 to be Lifted Thursday

>>
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will reopen the two remaining closed stretches of the Big Hole River on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 12:01 a.m. The Upper Big Hole from the Headwaters to the North Fork of the Big Hole – closed since Aug. 9 – will reopen along with the Lower Big Hole from Melrose Bridge to the mouth – closed since Aug. 20. These are the last restrictions still in place in Region 3.
<<

dean_mt

Reaction score
I thought Melrose down has been open for awhile. There is just a ton of water now! Crazy crazy crazy year. The flow at Melrose peaked yesterday at 1100 cfs! It's down just under 1000 today already and should be on a nice consistent drop. Since I've never really experience a run-off like conditions in the fall I'm not sure, but a few days of steady dropping flows in the spring generally creates some stellar fishing. Let's hope the same holds true now. Water temps were down in the low 40s last week as well, I'm really hoping that all the triggers went off and the browns get on the move.

It'll be like fishing in May rather than October. Should be interesting, wading will not be as easy as I've been anticipating, but still quite good I think.

B

blackbugger

You guys could be hitting it perfectly.
Once this storm blows through and if it stays dry for awhile the river should drop down into the 500cfs or so range which would be ideal.

Also, the Beav. is now down around 150cfs which means you can wade anywhere. This time of year it can be fantastic fishing with a really good chance at some serious pigs.
It can't be more than an hour to the dam from Melrose, which is a relative hop, skip and a jump in Montana.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I hope you're right bb. I've been watching the charts and the river has been dropping hard way upstream so that curve should be done around Maiden by the weekend. But it sounds like there has been some serious weather around there for awhile. Have you guys been getting too? It was pretty dry in Missou today and nearly 50.

I'll tale your knowledge of the area to heart, 500 cfs would be sweet. And I've never waded the Beav and that sounds too good. Is it a streamer deal there or standard micro nymph fare? If we had a great Sunday on the BH I'd be very willing to make the hop skip jump down there.

psumner

Reaction score
Last obstacle cleared for you:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Last Fishing Restrictions in Region 3 to be Lifted Thursday

>>
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will reopen the two remaining closed stretches of the Big Hole River on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 12:01 a.m. The Upper Big Hole from the Headwaters to the North Fork of the Big Hole – closed since Aug. 9 – will reopen along with the Lower Big Hole from Melrose Bridge to the mouth – closed since Aug. 20. These are the last restrictions still in place in Region 3.
<<
That's just about the time the blizzard started! I spent last night at the Lost Trail Ski area parking lot and drove down along the river to Dillon this morning. Had a nice, productive couple hours on the Bitterroot yesterday in beautiful fall weather. Hoping to get in some time below Clark Canyon dam tomorrow if the weather cooperates.