Carp near Cheyenne/Laramie?

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Just wondering if some carp can be found around these areas? Went carp fishing back in SD this past weekend, and I could see myself doing it often if the opportunity was available. I don't have a boat, so that pretty much puts the lakes out of question, plus I don't really want to drive 110 miles up to Glendo. Anyone know of an irrigation canals or smaller ponds that hold carp?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Alcova and Pathfinder hold carp and there is a lake just east of Casper. For something closer, I would go into the local Wyoming Game and Fish office and ask. I would think that there must be some carp locally.

Larry

brylonaron

Reaction score
Try Wheatland Reservoir 3, Hawk Springs Reservoir, Grey Rocks Reservoir. There are carp to catch in many of the Laramie Plains lakes also. Glendo has tons of carp but sometimes they are difficult to get from banks. Good luck!

jslo

Reaction score
I have a bunch of giant carp I can see in a pond near my home (ftCollins), but I don't know how to catch them lol!

jimbaker488

Reaction score
I have a bunch of giant carp I can see in a pond near my home (ftCollins), but I don't know how to catch them lol!
Try some dynamite.
Growing up in Missouri, I can remember catching them and something else called buffalo which was basically the same fish. Some times you might hook a really big one and not even realize it until you started reeling.
Didn't know anybody considered carp serious game fish, and definitely not worthy of discussion in the same conversation with trout.

justhrowit

Reaction score
Try some dynamite.
Growing up in Missouri, I can remember catching them and something else called buffalo which was basically the same fish. Some times you might hook a really big one and not even realize it until you started reeling.
Didn't know anybody considered carp serious game fish, and definitely not worthy of discussion in the same conversation with trout.

I know several people who have actually stopped trout fishing all together in order to chase carp. They are a worthy adversary with a fly. It's not much different than chasing Bonefish on the flats, IMO. They're spooky, big, amd fight like trucks. They're tough to sneak up on, and will test your casting abilities, along with your patience. Many people still consider them trash fish, but that is certainly changing. I love chasing them, personally.

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Try some dynamite.
you sir have obviously never fished for a carp on the fly. I just went fishing for them the first time last week, and honestly, they are much harder to catch then trout. you have to put the fly basically on their nose without spooking them. There is also no indication that they have taken the fly other than their body might have changed positions. Hard fighting, super spooky, and just a pure blast to catch.

gofisch

Reaction score
you sir have obviously never fished for a carp on the fly. I just went fishing for them the first time last week, and honestly, they are much harder to catch then trout. you have to put the fly basically on their nose without spooking them. There is also no indication that they have taken the fly other than their body might have changed positions. Hard fighting, super spooky, and just a pure blast to catch.
You're welcome :cool: Glad I could show you how awesome carp fishing is. You should just move back to SD.....

Last edited: