Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Quick trip to Casper

This Sunday, I have to make a quick trip to Casper for work. If the planets align, I might be able to get about 2 hours of fishing in. Just wondering if there is a place in town that I could fish without much planning. any public access areas?

2. Default Re: Quick trip to Casper

Quote Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
    This Sunday, I have to make a quick trip to Casper for work. If the planets align, I might be able to get about 2 hours of fishing in. Just wondering if there is a place in town that I could fish without much planning. any public access areas?
    I am pretty sure that the river through town is all public. There is a nice little park/ path that runs from Bryan stock trail to poplar street that has some decent structure to it. I take my lab down there to swim. I have seen people fishing it but never fished it myself. On that note I have never seen fish rising there either. There is another place off of first street called the white water park (I say Pshh to that as it is one rapid) that has some decent structure to it as well.

I would go to either of those places if I was crunched for time. If I had 3 or 4 hours I would run out to the reef. (30 miles)

As far as bugs go. We have been seeing the tricos tapering off and the caddis seems to still be going well in the PM. I saw a bunch of beatis and some BWO's on Tuesday evening. Also been doing well with a squirrel tail leech or a moehair leech as a point fly. Flows are down around 500 MCF out of the reef so the water level is at it's winter flows.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Here is a link that has some maps.

Platte River Parkway - Home

Edit: I forgot to mention.... We have had some significant moisture in the last week so the water is still a little off color. Seems to be improving day to day though.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Quick trip to Casper

I second the Reef option. It's a drive out of town but not too long. If you only have an hour or two no good. But 3+ hours I would drive to Pete's Draw and with flows around 500-600 cfs you can find some decent wading there with a nymph setup...just IMHO

Good luck!

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post