Fishing The Mile in October

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Depending on weather I am planning on making a weekend trip to fish the Mile in mid to late October. If it is wet, I will probably fish the reef because I only drive a little subaru, but regardless. Can I expect to fish the same things I fished in July? I fished mainly red rock worms, leeches, and pat's rubber legs when I was there earlier this year. Can I expect to fish the same things during October? I will also have some egg patterns and some bright orange scuds (maybe egg imitation), and you can bet I will have some big streamers to try and pull a hog. Does much change in the fall, or will the flies I currently have for the north platte still work?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The big fish are just now starting to move into the mile. It should be loaded and ready by the time you get there. The roads are good so your suby will do fine.

But the reef will be arguably as good but may have a few bigger fish.

Tough call, I like the mile a tad more but I wouldn't pass up either for a dollar.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Your flies are fine, rip streamers then dredge....Rinse and Repeat!

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
If I can, i'm gonna hit the mile for two reasons. From the one trip I made earlier this year, I fished both the mile and the reef. Seemed to me that the mile was easier to wade fish than the reef and I like the free campsites that are at the mile. Also, I love fishing boulders and canyon water, and when I was at the mile the stretch of canyon above the bridge was not fishable because they had just maxed out the flows.

jmac321

Reaction score
You need to be fishing streamers in oct. for the big fish. That depends of the weather. But the Mile in oct. I'll be fishing large streamers on a fast strip. Anger big fish. The same goes for the Reef. Check with the platte river lodge and fly store. They will have the go to info.:)

chased

Reaction score
Heading to that area on Wednesday. Hope we can get some big browns to come out and play with meaty streamers.

-Chase

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Be sure to post pictures Chased. Depending on my work schedule, I might have the 10, 11, 12 off from work, so I might try to go for those three days. Should be good by then I would assume. Anyone ever target these big browns at night up there?

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Yeah, I am usually too tired at the end of the day to want to fish more. But being able to camp right on the river at the mile, I might get the urge to chuck some meat just after dark close to camp after relaxing for a bit.

chased

Reaction score
Will for sure get some pics and video! My buddy swears by chucking streamers at night below the dam at Grey Reef. He does seem to catch a lot of BIG browns by doing so.

jhardin80

Reaction score
I would love to go fishing, time just doesn't permit it right now. I do have a question about streamers. I have never fished them before and all I have right now is a 4 wt. rod/reel. Are there any streamers that I could fish with using this rod/reel?

Do you dead drift a streamer and then strip it back up the river/stream at the end of the run?

slicedog

Reaction score
Jhardin80, you can throw smaller stuff with a 4 wt, like smaller buggers and spiders and such, but throwing anything with a bit of weight and or sink tip in the wind will be very hard. 6 and 7 wts are recomended for fishing the bigger flies. I can give a quick report on both sections of river, as I was at both sections this weekend. Grey reef at the dam fished well in the evening with all fish taking a black bead head pine squirrell leech or a size 16 annelid. heavier tippet is a must and try to keep the fish out of the weeds. Floating the reef sucked this weekend. So many weeds, and the wind gusted to 45 mph. Rowing was a ***** in the wind and weeds. We only got 6 fish during the float. Headed over to the mile after that. The roads were fine, only because the wind dried them out from the moisture it got on friday. It looked like the roads were a mess on friday from all the rutts left in the road. The mile fished decent early with anelids and cranefly larva taking fish. Then, of course the winds picked up and the fishing went south. Streamer bite was not on at all, had a few browns follow, but that was about it. The guys floating the river throwing streamers told me they were not having success either. It was just just a tough weekend overall for less than 30 fish between us

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, wow!! is all I can say. The Pigs are moving in. Good bud hit me with a pic of a brown fish that looks to be double digits...Just yesterday!

I am heading that way as soon as this week ends!

jmhall87

Reaction score
Where are these 2 places I'm not a local, but I'm going to be in Colorado for my bachelor party. We plan on camping at the riverside campground in 11 mile canyon. Or if the government shutdown screws my out of national forest. I'll be going to arkansas headwaters state area instead