Against my better judgment: my trip to the mile

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Well, even with the winter storm warning looming, I decided to head to the mile on thursday morning. I arrived about 10 am, quick threw up my tent and hit the water. It was a beautiful day, very little wind and probably in the mid 50s. Ended up catching about 9 fish the first day. Most came on either a pat's rubber legs, or a red rock worm, with the only brown of the day coming on a double bunny streamer. The weather soon changed about 6 that evening, with a fair amount of rain, followed by wet, heavy snow. I woke up every couple of hours that night to knock the snow off the tent, and even got up once the shovel the snow out from around the edges. Woke the next morning to more snow. I should have packed up and left right then, but decided to stay. I ended up fishing about 4 hours on friday, pulling about half a dozen small, 8-14 inch rainbows on an egg pattern. I decided I would try to make it to Alcova to meet up with Chased and Mcnerny. it is 29 miles from the mile to alcova, I made it 18 before I ran into a drifted over road that I was not going to make it through. I managed to get unstuck and turn around and make the trip back to the mile. Set up the tent again and was in for a long night of being mad at myself for being so stupid and not just waiting for better weather. Long story short, I woke up saturday morning and decided to give it another shot at making it home. I saw fresh tracks on a different road, and ended up following the tracks until I caught up with the two vehicles that made them. They had actually got stuck the night before on that road and stayed the night in their trucks. One guy had to leave his camper behind. Beyond that point, the roads were just fine. I ended up coming out at Hanna/Elk mountain, and made it home safely just a little after noon. I learned a few things on this trip: don't be stupid, never go alone, and always bring a full 5 gallon gas can (did't run out of gas, but it crossed my mind several time) well anyway, here are a few pictures.

jmac321

Reaction score
Yep, The mile can be a witch to get to or from this time of year. Or anytime a big weather event happens. Glade you got out safe. When I was younger, in my teen, we hunted wolf on seminola, in the winter. It took two 4x4's with winches front and back, to get there busting drifts.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you did well, all things considered. The storms happen to us all, just be glad you weren't 88 river miles from a boat launch when it hit. It was a very challenging ride back to where I left the truck and the boat has no heat at all.....................

Today was much better, 53* and sunny, the storm hit 2 weeks ago...............

It's trips like you had that make for memories.

jslo

Reaction score
Wow! Nice work on making it work, even in rough conditions. Agree, the mile/reef area aren't a spot to be in a winter weather event.

Nice 'bow though and PS thats a SICK net! I need one of those.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Beautiful pics and cool story SdDryFly, you have to be careful, but love winter snowstorms and don't think there is anything better than fishing with the snow coming down.

Dave

B

blackbugger

Actually that kind of looks like fun to me.
As long as you are well prepared to deal with being stuck for awhile. Work, on the other hand, might not be so understanding.

Chains and a come-along are a must from here on out in the Rockies.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It is an adventure. I've woke up a bunch of times to find either frozen ground or snow outside the tent at dawn............... Once you get over the 'Oh No' part of it and get into the 'this is going to be more difficult' mode it's all the same.

I do try to avoid it but given the date and my location I'll be facing some more days that are less than shirt sleeve weather.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
SdDryFly: Wow, that looked brutal, especially camping! Sorry we missed you, I went over early and camped on the mile on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday then picked up camp and went into Alcova where Chase and his friend Rod had reserved a cabin just around the corner from the Alcova convenience store, boy was that place nice. Chase and Rod really wanted to fish the mile, but when I heard the forecast I convinced them to fish the Grey Reef and the Canyon instead. Awhile back I had a friend from Laramie that got stuck up on the mile in bad weather, so I'm a little careful about going out there when the forecast doesn't look good. We were staying in the cabin when the blizzard hit, probably received a foot of snow, but only lost the morning to fishing, we decided to go and fish the dam in the afternoon as it was so close. I took one look at the Reef and decided we were going to wade instead of trying to do a float, the weeds were just awful and with that high wind forecast I wasn't looking forward to trying to row in those conditions.

Larry

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Wow! Nice work on making it work, even in rough conditions. Agree, the mile/reef area aren't a spot to be in a winter weather event.

Nice 'bow though and PS thats a SICK net! I need one of those.
The net is made by WetFly. I bought it from Sierra Trading Post. I got it for 25 dollars using a 35% off coupond. It is 37 inches long, which is great for using a 10' rod all by yourself. the net opening itself is 18" x 11". I like it so far, just need to find a way to carry it. Right now I have to just lay it on the bank, or find a big rock to set it on. It's a bit long to have hanging off my body.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
GREAT trip.

I love ffing in the snow..something peaceful about being on a small stream with snow falling.

I am envious.

Jim
Jim

That storm was more like a blizzard, the snow was blowing sideways due to the high winds, making for some pretty miserable conditions to be outside. We probably only got a foot of snow, but the back of my pickup was completely full with snow when the storm passed, wish I had taken a photo. Luckily, Chase, Rod and I were in a cabin near Alcova all hunkered down during the storm, but the guys camping out on the mile weren't so lucky.

Larry