Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you could go anywhere in CO

I'm looking for a place to take my wife for a short weekend outing. Of course, I want a place that is on a very good river. If you could pick one place to stay and fly fish where would it be? (up to $200/night). The cabin doesn't have to be real fancy, we have stayed in a couple by estes park and liked it but the cabins we stayed in don't take pets and we have two small dogs now.
    There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Default Re: If you could go anywhere in CO

Try Basalt - near Aspen.

Roaring Fork & Frying Pan are nearby.

You can fly into either Aspen, Eagle/Vail, or Denver (if you don't mind a 3 hr drive)

3. Likes waterfordcreek liked this post

What time of year? Does the wife fish?

From my out of state visitors perspective. In the warm weather months, Durango's always at the top of my wife's list of fun towns, with the Animas river running through it. It's near enough to Mesa Verde N.P. for day trips, they've got the narrow gauge R.R., shops galore, all sorts of eateries and lodging, pretty open attitude - easy place to hook up a bike rental at, as an alternate way to cruise the town. Can't speak to the dog / lodging issue.

I'd be very tempted to extend the stay long enough to drop down and visit the salami's on the San Juan.

TT

6. Likes mikel, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Either Durango or Basalt would be good choices. Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt has a couple cabins on the Frying Pan they rent out.
    Cabin Rentals In Colorado - Taylor Creek Fly Fishing Cabins - Taylor Creek Cabins - Basalt Aspen Colorado

Larry
    Larry

8. Likes waterfordcreek liked this post

Definitely agree with Basalt...you couldn't ask for a better place. It's right on the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork, which are both excellent rivers, and the city is close enough to Aspen and Glenwood Springs for more shopping.

Durango- many say it's the center of teh real colorado.

Not really a fan of Basalt. Too close to Aspen and all that phony ****.

Take a look at Salida. Right on the Arkansas, and a quaint, yet nifty feel to the town. Not too expensive, either.

I take my 'lil dawg camping everywhere, you'll have to check with the lodges.

Good luck, and post your findings!

CAB

I second Durango!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Either Durango or Basalt would be good choices. Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt has a couple cabins on the Frying Pan they rent out.
    Cabin Rentals In Colorado - Taylor Creek Fly Fishing Cabins - Taylor Creek Cabins - Basalt Aspen Colorado

Larry
    Book a cabin Larry....I'm coming

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Breckenridge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast