Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Trip '14

Default Colorado Trip '14

I want to take a trip out west this spring/summer with my wife. I'm looking for recommendations on when and where to go. I know spring runoff isn't a predictable creature, but roughly when does that happen? Will it shut down all my trout fishing options? I'm thinking of basing out of Breckenridge. I've been there a couple times. It has plenty of shops and restaurants to entertain my wife, and is close to the Blue and South Park creeks. What other towns might be a good option for us? I have little experience fishing bigger rivers, and am a bit nervous about that.
    Read my fishing blog RodandRivet.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Colorado Trip '14

Breckenridge is a good solid choice, as you stated you have the Blue right there and wouldn't have to worry about spring runoff (usually in the June early July time frame). You also wouldn't be that far from the Frying Pan (another tailwater near Basalt, CO) or the Roaring Fork (both smaller sized waters). The Eagle River is just to the west, but it will have issues with spring runoff as will the Roaring Fork. You would also have the option to hit the Colorado River (if it wasn't spring runoff) up along hwy 40 near Parshall/Hot Sulfur Springs, the river isn't too big up that high. If you follow hwy 9 north you could also hit the Yampa River below Stagecoach Reservoir (just south of Steamboat Springs). There is good public access (via a public walking path) to the Yampa right in Steamboat Springs if you wanted to go up for a day trip. Anyway, there are a few choices to think about.

Larry
    Larry

3. Likes waterfordcreek liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have had great success in the Breck area. I encourage you looking up Breckenridge Outfitters and hiring out Adam-he's a great guide and a great guy. I might sell you my spots but I am not sure. I am not a huge fan of South Park creek just because it's pretty busy depending how you access it. Just drive slow in South Park.
    The Blue is a fun fishery. It's been a few years since I've been there but it shouldn't has changed much.
    Hit the Columbine Cafe for breakfast just off main.

Runoff in Colorado starts right around April 25th plus or minus a week, and almost all rivers are clear and fishable, though high, by June 5th plus or minus a week.

We lived in Frisco for three years and I know the area streams well. Breck is an outstanding base area for a fishing trip. Fishing may be slow in South Park until later in June as the water stays pretty cold at 10,000ft.

As was mentioned earlier, Breck has a great fly shop. Check with them for the latest info.

Chris

My $0.02...
    Pre-runoff can provide some good fishing opportunities with warming temps, sunny days, along with the bug and fish activity picking up. First half of April is safe and would provide a lot of options. Generally, late April and into May you'll start to see the signs of run-off.

Otherwise I'd recommend going sometime in the second half of July or August and give consideration to...
    +Glenwood Springs/Basalt/Aspen- Frying Pan/Roaring Fork fishing, lots of shops in the towns. IMO hot springs are always worth a visit!
    +Salida/BV - the Arkansas has a lot of access, shopping more budget friendly
    +Estes Park is another nice option for shopping and lots of hiking/fishing options in RMNP

Keeping an eye on snowpack levels and stream gauges Colorado Division of Water Resources can help provide a picture of what's happening with the river flows. I don't have a link to the snowpack levels, but you should be able to find it easy with a quick search for current Colorado snowpack levels.

+1 for what is said above. Breck will get you near a lot of fishing option including Blue up to the Colorado, S. Platte, Arkansas, Eagle, Frying Pan, etc. A good thing about being so close to different river basins is that the snow pack varies around the state so even if one area is high another might be in good shape. Many of the popular fisheries are tailwaters and they can be fishable at times other streams are not.

The fly shop recommendations are great. In addition to the Breckenridge suggestion, I've also used Cutthroat Anglers and the Colorado Angler on either side of I-70 at the Dillon / Silverthorne exit.
    - William

Considered the Gunnison area ? Local streams would include the Gunnison, the Taylor, and the East rivers. And I always liked Gunnison because it's a friendly little community that appreciates your business. And you get the typical gorgous
    Colorado rocky mountain vistas. FWIW my wife and I visited there several times and we both liked the area and our time spent there.

9. Default Re: Colorado Trip '14

Maybe Fort Collins as soon as this happens?
    Renewing rivers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
    Considered the Gunnison area ? Local streams would include the Gunnison, the Taylor, and the East rivers. And I always liked Gunnison because it's a friendly little community that appreciates your business. And you get the typical gorgous
    Colorado rocky mountain vistas. FWIW my wife and I visited there several times and we both liked the area and our time spent there.
    If you have the time and like driving do like I did
    Pagosa Springs (San Juan right in town) plenty of fish

got a guide who drove me to the San Juan for a day in NM for the trophy section (I floated it)

then Durango and the Animas...Gold Medal section real close and a nice town and DO NOT MISS the Diamond Belle Saloon and their DIAMOND BURGER best I've ever eaten and I've downed many a burger also on mon / wed / fri evenings they have a gunfight

took the white knuckle drive up to Gunnison fished there visited Crested Butte fished there

then back on RT550 up thru Ridgeway (great tailwater there) and found several small roadside streams teeming with eager trout along the way

stopped in Delta and fished several rivers in the area...just look on a map

damn good trip and friendly people along the way

did run into some runoff the end of May made for some spotty fishing
    the three+ weeks I spent in East Tenn gave me all the active fishing I could ask for and some really nice waters and scenery as well

LET IT FLY IN PAGOSA SPRINGS & DURANGLERS IN DURANGO WERE GREAT PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH...Super nice and helpful

the Orvis Shop in Pigeon Forge (TN) were great to deal with also if you should go there

have a great trip

I'm looking for a repeat maybe Sept of '15

Quote Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post

I have little experience fishing bigger rivers, and am a bit nervous about that.
    One nice thing about the Almont/Gunnison area is that you have three (3) different rivers (Gunnison, East, Taylor) all very different personalities. The East being the smallest and easiest to wade... Taylor slightly larger - but can be scary wading, and they come together (in Almont) to form the Gunnison; a big river with big fish.

I won't lie, big rivers are an adjustment if you're used to 20-30 foot wide streams... but the rewards are worth the effort to learn.

I love this area; great fishing, great eat's, very laid back, lots of scenery/wildlife. I go there with my wife and daughter (my wife doesn't fish at all) and we all love it. Crested Butte is close by as well for a hangout and there's plenty of other stuff to do besides fishing (raft trips, 4-wheeler rentals, hiking, etc.).

I guess a lot depends on what will keep your wife occupied and happy while you're fishing.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast