Denver area?

gregorykicks

Reaction score
I haven't been on the forums for a while, partially because of a busier schedule that permits less fishing and free time. Nevertheless, my family is planning a 5ish day trip to Denver around a Rush concert at Red Rocks on the 5th of June. I was hoping to get a chance to fish while I was over in the area. I currently own a 9' 5wt rod, and I'm not sure how adequate that will be for the conditions in Colorado. I suppose it depends on where I fish. I was hoping some of you who are from the area or have fished the area could give me some tips and suggestions. I was also debating getting a guide and perhaps trying to convince my dad and brother to go with me. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Greg

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
a 9' 5wt is the perfect rod for Colorado. I'm not familiar with the "Denver Area" but if you have wheels and want to drive 1 1/2 hours, you can hit the South Platte where they call it the dream stream. It is a gold medal water and also Antero Res. which holds a high number of monster trout.

gregorykicks

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm sure a local fly shop could also help point me in the right direction as far as what to fish and where.

trout champ

Reaction score
How about Waterton Canyon? It's the closest tailwater I can think of. It's right off of 470 below Chatfield Reservoir. It's mostly brown's about a foot long with a couple rainbows mixed in. If you looking for a guide go with Blue Quill Anglers, it's the home waters of their head guide, Pat Dorsey. Hope that helps.

Randy

gregorykicks

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! I'll certainly look into that some more.
Glad they have the option of borrowing their gear. I'm apprehensive about putting a rod in the hands of baggage handlers.