Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Yellowstone Fishing Guides

Quote Originally Posted by grousesetters View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I ended up booking with Park's.

We have some classes lined up to help with our skills. I got my son a private fly casting lesson and he's been practicing on his own in the yard. He's also doing his own online research, so he seems really excited.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff
    You're a good dad... Jeff, if your son is practicing regularly take him for another lesson sometime in early July and it will really make a big difference. Not only can the teacher tweak any bad habits that will immediately make a difference with accuracy and length of cast but he will also show him a couple more different casting techniques that he can accomplish before going on the trip.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Hi Jeff,

I live in Bozeman and our company also does a lot of guiding in Yellowstone Park. All of the shops and outfitters the others have mentioned are great operations. My advice would be to avoid West Yellowstone since most of the waters on the West side of the park are too warm in August. The best fishing will be on the East side out of Gardiner. The Yellowstone river, Slough Creek, Gardner, Soda Butte and Lamar should all be very good in early August. I would recommend a full day vs. a half day to give you many more options. Your guide won't have time to get you very far into the park if you are just doing a half day. Have fun!

3. Default Re: Yellowstone Fishing Guides

Just wanted to follow-up on our trip. We had a great time and learned a lot from our guide at Park's Fly Shop. We didn't catch a lot of fish, but that was more due to our inexperience than anything. I actually requested that we be taken to a stream with a slightly more difficult experience level than beginner and I think it was the right choice. I've never gauged fishing or hunting experiences on number of fish caught or animals killed.

Here's a video I put together from our time with the guide;
    [ame=http://youtu.be/pe0gBUyvzjk]Fly Fishing the Gardner River 8-3-14 - YouTube[/ame]

We also spent a couple days along the Madison River, and we hooked into some awesome rainbows over there. I lost 2 right off the bat when they broke my line. Unfortunately my camera battery was dead when we were there.

Jeff

nice vid, thx. Parks' is great, really nice folks and they even have rental cabins. Love me some Gardiner...

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Just how cool is that! What a grand trip and experience. As I was watching the video I couldn't help by hope for a hook-up and then around minute 3:30, BINGO! Loved it.

I've had that experience as a father, grandfather, friend, and teacher. Seeing someone else have the same magical moment never fails to reward.

I wanted to "high five" someone, so Rooney, my pointer came over to see what had caused me to let out a cheer. She doesn't do tricks so settled for a pat on the head and "Good dog".

Glad you had a good trip. I sometimes forget about the Gardner. I shouldn't.

Thanks for posting.

Allen R.
    Last edited by Flywgn; 08-15-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Snake River Plain

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

A bit late, but I would also recommend park's Fly Shop for that area of YNP. They have been around a long time, knows that area better than anyone else, and can provide you with a wide variety of fishing options

Under the high bridge - always good for a few fish! Wonderful video - so happy to see new people and a new generation having a great introduction to an activity we love. Glad that your trip was everything you hoped it would be!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12