Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe Trip Report

1. Default Snowshoe Trip Report

Yesterday I hiked/snowshoed 4 miles down into a canyon stretch of my favorite river for a day of fishing.

This was the view hiking in:

Somebody else got to the river just before me. His tracks did show me the way though:

There were actually bear tracks all over the place. I didn't see any bears though.

The weather was beautiful when I got to the river:

Fishing was tough, but I picked up 8 or 9 fish on the day. The quality of fish was good though. Only two fish were under 14". I picked up a 17" cutthroat and an 18.5" brown:

Normally I try to lay my fish in shallow water to photograph when I'm fishing alone, but unfortunately the shallow water was all under shelf ice, so laying on the ice had to suffice. The ice was about 1-3 colder than the water.

I hooked up with a cutt that was bigger than the brown, but he came off after a short tussle.

Even though the fishing was a little slow, I couldn't think of a better place to fish:

This guy came from the spot above:

I woke up to 2-3" of fresh snow this morning, but just as I was departing this morning, the sun came out (sort of)!

The hike in took two hours, the hike out took three and a half. Going uphill (vs down) and 3 inches of fresh snow will do that, I suppose. I was considering going back next weekend, but frankly, I'm just tired of snow. I'll wait until summer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Snowshoe Trip Report

By God I'd go back buddy! Those are beauties and I won't give a guy any **** about how he photos a fish after he walks 3.5 miles through the snow to catch them! And then stays over! You are a good fellow, I used to do those things when I lived where there was open water in winter. Here, you need an auger to fish anywhere.

Great trip and pictures!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes shortyb, N/A, fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

I am jealous, I bet that was very relaxing (besides the hiking part)

What a great trip
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

5. Likes N/A liked this post

Two thumbs up.
    Sweet I bet it was difficult to leave,. Catching fish, winer camping and great scenery.
    Civilization is overrated.

7. Likes N/A, fredaevans liked this post

Awesome. Can I ask what area this was in? How cold did it get on you at night? Looks like an amazing trip but I don't think I have the gear to sleep in those temps...think ill wait another month or so before my hike/camp/fish trips
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

9. Likes N/A liked this post

Sweet!...Wish I had the lungs to still do such. Nothing better then bowhunting or fishing when snow is falling.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
  12. Default Re: Snowshoe Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
    Awesome. Can I ask what area this was in? How cold did it get on you at night? Looks like an amazing trip but I don't think I have the gear to sleep in those temps...think ill wait another month or so before my hike/camp/fish trips
    Sorry, I don't kiss and tell on the location. I'm guessing it was in the mid teens in the morning. I don't know exactly, because I was up in the mountains, but it was in the upper teens in the nearest town.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
  14. Default Re: Snowshoe Trip Report

Great report & pics, I appreciate seeing them but I admire the effort you took even more.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

Gonna give you some rep for taking on that trip and being successful! Awesome report and great pics.

AMERICA......#$%@ YEAH!!!!!!!

Great trip report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast