Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Green River Fishing Plans go Awry!

The planned fishing trip was to do a float on the Green river with some forum members and then head south to spend a four days floating and wading the Green below Flaming Gorge with Seth (username qacwac) and his GF. Things started to fall apart when Seth called me a couple days ago, he has a job interview on Monday and wouldn't be able to go, so I decided I won't go to Flaming Gorge either as I have another trip scheduled for down there at the end of the month. The plan for the Saturday forum member float, was to meet up at Slate Creek campground at 8 am so I got up early Sat morning to get ready, checked in with the forum and found that Fysh and his wife won't be coming (I was going to ride in their boat). Dan (parsond) and his fishing buddy were to be in their boat with one of the kids, so it was full. So I decide to quickly switch gears, load up the truck with my pontoon boat and still make the 8 am meeting at Slate Creek with Dan as I wanted to finally get a chance to meet him. Seeing how they rode up together in one vehicle, they would need a shuttle, so I volunteered to help them out. It was great to finally get to meet Dan! Then my plan was to use the pontoon boat, but I found someone already fishing the run I wanted to fish, so I decided to go back to the takeout and fish a run I spotted when I did the shuttle, this turned out to be a very wise decision. The fishing went pretty well, thanks to a few tips from Dan who guides on the Green. I lost a few fish, but I got to tangle with one of the river's monsters for a short period and once again it won. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to move up to a 6 wt rod if I'm ever going to pull one of these big boys out of this river. This was the second or third time I have hooked into a truly large trout, they charge to the center of the fast current and then dive for the bottom and my 5 wt just doesn't seem to have the backbone to prevent that dive. Ultimately they scrape me off on the bottom structure and the fight is over.
    Here are some photos from a great day on the water:
    A shot of the river (this was taken a couple weeks ago when we still had a little snow on the ground):

Here is another interesting photo, at first glance it looks like black sand, but it is actually the aftermath of a great midge hatch (I took this on the last trip down there):

A nice Snake River Cutthroat:

Same fish, different view:

Another shot of the river:

And another:

A nice Rainbow:

And another nice Rainbow:

And another:

Another river shot:

Another beautiful Cutthroat:
    Larry

Default Re: Green River Fishing Plans go Awry!

Larry, great report! Awesome river & trout pics too! Plans don't seem to always work out, but I wish all my awry plans would end up like yours!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Great sceneries and fish Larry!the pic with the dead midges is amazing

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Looks like a great stretch of water! Another one add to the bucket list. Looked like great time even if plans didn't go quite right. At least you are fishing. I haven't wet a line yet, when i have time it's raining, when I don't, it's nice out.

Sent from my iPhone

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    The planned fishing trip was to do a float on the Green river with some forum members and then head south to spend a four days floating and wading the Green below Flaming Gorge with Seth (username qacwac) and his GF. Things started to fall apart when Seth called me a couple days ago, he has a job interview on Monday and wouldn't be able to go, so I decided I won't go to Flaming Gorge either as I have another trip scheduled for down there at the end of the month. The plan for the Saturday forum member float, was to meet up at Slate Creek campground at 8 am so I got up early Sat morning to get ready, checked in with the forum and found that Fysh and his wife won't be coming (I was going to ride in their boat). Dan (parsond) and his fishing buddy were to be in their boat with one of the kids, so it was full. So I decide to quickly switch gears, load up the truck with my pontoon boat and still make the 8 am meeting at Slate Creek with Dan as I wanted to finally get a chance to meet him. Seeing how they rode up together in one vehicle, they would need a shuttle, so I volunteered to help them out. It was great to finally get to meet Dan! Then my plan was to use the pontoon boat, but I found someone already fishing the run I wanted to fish, so I decided to go back to the takeout and fish a run I spotted when I did the shuttle, this turned out to be a very wise decision. The fishing went pretty well, thanks to a few tips from Dan who guides on the Green. I lost a few fish, but I got to tangle with one of the river's monsters for a short period and once again it won. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to move up to a 6 wt rod if I'm ever going to pull one of these big boys out of this river. This was the second or third time I have hooked into a truly large trout, they charge to the center of the fast current and then dive for the bottom and my 5 wt just doesn't seem to have the backbone to prevent that dive. Ultimately they scrape me off on the bottom structure and the fight is over.
    Here are some photos from a great day on the water:
    A shot of the river (this was taken a couple weeks ago when we still had a little snow on the ground):

Here is another interesting photo, at first glance it looks like black sand, but it is actually the aftermath of a great midge hatch (I took this on the last trip down there):

A nice Snake River Cutthroat:

Same fish, different view:

Another shot of the river:

And another:

A nice Rainbow:

And another nice Rainbow:

And another:

Another river shot:

Another beautiful Cutthroat:
    --------------------------------

Larry,

All's well that ends well.
    Ditto on the 6wt. :-)

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

9. Likes mcnerney, N/A liked this post

Larry, great pics and report! Some awesome cutts. My closest cutts are in Arkansas from MIssouri. Based on your input, have to bring my, newly purchased Allen XA2, next year.
    Rick

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Green River Fishing Plans go Awry!

We have one 'minor problem' with the set up with this forum. We can only hand out 'five stars;' we need number six for something truely exceptional.

Those photo's are a 'six star.'
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

13. Likes mcnerney, bigjim5589, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Boy, for a trip that went off track it sure seemed to pull together pretty well Larry I enjoyed all the pictures but was waiting for a shot of the pontoon boat......

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

15. Likes mcnerney, N/A liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ard: Here is a photo of the NFO Rampage pontoon that the three of us used to get down river on the last trip. Basically, Seth and I wanted to hit the islands and using the pontoon as a taxi worked out great, that's Seth on the left and his GF on the right.

Larry
    Larry

17. Likes Ard, N/A liked this post

Good report Larry and those are nice fish.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

19. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast