Idaho Small Streams Part 2

cpiercem

Reaction score
Brookies and Bows

Off to a different stream type. Still clear and cold, but slower with lots of meandering turns. Beautiful!

And of course a beautiful stream must have beautiful fish. Brookies

Brook Trout always amaze me with their contrasting colors and bright dots.

There were bows too, but I didn't take many pictures of them.

I loved the greens and blues of this water too..

But still the fish were outstanding, if not in size, then in enthusiasm, fight, and beauty. They deserved a post of their own.

Part 3 Back to the Cutts.....

Last edited:

Flywgn

Reaction score
Maybe it's the age I've reached and find that I can no longer wade the big rivers comfortably, let alone safely, but small streams are appealing—especially when they hold fish such as these you've shown us.

Small streams are certainly not new to me. Having grown up in south Georgia (that's the state in the U.S. of A., not the country connecting Europe and Asia) small trout streams were the norm. Then, trips to other states east of the Mississippi provided more wonderful trout streams, but none were to compare to my first western river, the N. Fork of the Umqua. Now that's a river.

And now I find that I'm returning to my "roots", so to speak, and am enjoying the trip.

Thanks, cpiercem for your photo-journal affirming that others, too, enjoy these small stream experiences.

Allen R.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Allen, I am surrounded by world famous waters, and where do I fish? Little streams and tributaries that I seldom ever see anyone else on. I love the small streams. It is so much fun to explore the next corner to see what I will find. I've hit a number of dud streams too, but that is still part of the charm.

I get too "attached" to some of the streams in my area.

Unfortunately I visited one other stream on this trip, and I was heartbroken to see it almost completely dewatered in its middle and lower reaches. I felt so bad I didn't even take any pictures there. I've caught some beautiful trout out of it in the past. Thankfully the upper part is still producing its small native cutts, so hopefully with some good water years the other sections will comeback someday.