North Park early October?

dlf58

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been on this site since Januruary. I live in north central Kansas. I have been fishing for close to fifty years, the last ten or so, fly fishing. My Dads youngest brother has visited North park for close to fifty years, many with my father, and other family members. I have joined the last 13 years. Always went the first part of September, some years the weather has been real nice, some it has been cold, 38 degrees one year for the high. This week he told me we are going the fourth of October, and spend the week. I am a little afraid we are going to freeze our butts off. He has a small camper,(no real heater). Do some of you locals have any thoughts on this? Thanks David

comeonavs

Reaction score
Hate to say depends but man after September 1 in the Rockies anything is a crapshoot. You will just have to pack for summer and winter conditions. You very we'll could have 70degree days and 25 degree nights.

Should be good, I love fishing the Rockies in the fall. I've got one experience in N Park after Labor Day but just wanted to say hi and hope the trip is great.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately the answer is "depends". You'll probably have a good idea a couple weeks out, but not now. I've certainly fished North Park in mid-October before, but I considered those to be "bonus days" if you will.

The good news is the snowpack was so good up there this year that if you do have good weather you should have good fishing too:)

triggw

Reaction score
Get a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy. About $100. I keep one in my camper. Don't run it during the night, but great for warming up in the a.m. and when you get off the water.

dlf58

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Kinda thought this could be the case. Just a little concerned about the cold as this annual trip is the highlight of my years fishing. Will have to think positive, and hope for the best.

larue

Reaction score
As others have said, no way to really be certain, but cool nights are very likely (25-35*), I would say plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Be sure to stop at North Park Anglers and talk to the guys there to get the latest stream reports for the area.

dlf58

Reaction score
Heading out saturday night for a week in North Park. Plan on fishing the North Platte in Wyoming for two days. Any recomendations on flies for the n Platte? Plan on fishing Treasure Island area.
I understand the weather has started to cool off. Cool mornings, decent afternoons.
Most of our fishing will be in area lakes, any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance for any advice. David

4peace1piece

Reaction score
I fished the upper Platte last weekend and the fishing was good, but we just had another rain and cold snap this week and flows bumped from 200 cfs on Monday to 400 today. The streamer bite should still be on, even if the river got a little off color. If the water is really brown, I'd throw something bright enough for them to see.

lonestarbrewer

Reaction score
Was on the N Platte last week. Had good luck with rusty spinners, irresistibles and royal wulffs in sizes 12-16.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The wx forecast looks pretty good, and as you already know the fishing this time of year should be stellar. A portable heater would come in handy at night!
Walden Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com

Silvertip8k (Ted) will be there on Delaney Buttes and then on the North Platte with his fishing buddy, look for a 67 white chevy pickup with a white camper on top, if you see him stop and say hi, he is a great guy.
At any rate, have a great trip and please post a trip report when you return, we all love reading those trip reports.