Poudre Today

lonestarbrewer

Reaction score
Hit the north fork for a few hours today. It was cold but it was also my day off and I figured I'd have the water to myself.

Got this little guy on the 2nd cast

Got this bow out of the same run

There was a midge hatch and I tied on a size 22 midge dry with an rs2 trailer. Had three hits on the midge and broke off all three I'd brought with me...

Switched to a streamer and got one before I got tired of dealing with iced up guides.

It wasn't lights-out but still better than a day at the office

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on getting out in that cold and wetting a line. I agree with CAB, you have to be tough to deal with that cold wx and those frozen guides.

cpiercem

Reaction score
I didn't see this report until today. Congratulations on an excellent return for your investment of fishing in some tough conditions. Very nice fish.

lonestarbrewer

Reaction score
Went back up the canyon yesterday. Fished the north fork for a bit. Had a few hook ups but landed none. Mostly nymphed but threw a streamer as well. Wind and frozen guides made the fishing cumbersome. Stopped at a couple holes on the main fork heading back into town and hooked into a decent little brown swinging a streamer through some riffles. Made for a nice ending to a tough day.

jhardin80

Reaction score
Looks cold but nice catches.

Sorry for the noob questions but when you say the North Fork is that the place right there by Seaman Reservoir? Can you drive on that road that looks like a loop almost on google maps?

Are there places in there that you can't fish? I'm just trying to find a decent place to go maybe this weekend and have never fished that area before.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
Looks cold but nice catches.

Sorry for the noob questions but when you say the North Fork is that the place right there by Seaman Reservoir? Can you drive on that road that looks like a loop almost on google maps?

Are there places in there that you can't fish? I'm just trying to find a decent place to go maybe this weekend and have never fished that area before.
JHardin, I'm not Lonestar but I can tell you that you can fish the north fork where it comes out of Seaman and enters the main canyon. Since its tailwater its more likely to fish on cold days.

There is also a stretch of public water on the north fork much further north from that but it requires a hike and isn't as good of fishing in my opinion.

jhardin80

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the info. So basically you can drive all the way back in by the damn on Seaman and fish it all the way out to the main canyon? Or are they some limitations on driving back in that area? I don't even know what's back in there. Looks to be possibly a house and two other large buildings of some sorts.

4peace1piece

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the info. So basically you can drive all the way back in by the damn on Seaman and fish it all the way out to the main canyon? Or are they some limitations on driving back in that area? I don't even know what's back in there. Looks to be possibly a house and two other large buildings of some sorts.
I'll have to bow out at this point of the knowledge. I've only parked on the north side of the canyon highway before the turn and fished up the north fork for a ways but not all the way to the dam. I have drove down the first part of the Seaman road before to Gateway Park but I think there was a parking fee or something because I remember turning around. Here's a couple links that might give you some more of the info you are looking for:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

jhardin80

Reaction score
Unfortunately we didn't get to make the trip. We had some last minute things come up. We will try again in the coming weeks if the weather holds up.

lonestarbrewer

Reaction score
Fished the north fork this past Wednesday. The weather was excellent and the fishing wasn't bad either. Found some consistently rising fish taking advantage of a bwo/midge hatch. Threw a dry and started hooking up. Once they ceased rising I switched to a double nymph rig and kept catching fish. It was a fun day on the water.

Here are a few of the fishes