Big, Wonderful Wyoming - TR

larue

Reaction score
I apologize for taking such a long time to finally get a trip report put together, things have been pretty busy at school this semester.

After learning that school would not start until after labor day this year, it more or less went without saying amongst my roommates that we would take advantage of it and have a weeklong trip across Wyoming. Plans on where to fish, where to camp and when to go were changed, changed agian, finalized, and then changed one more time. We tossed around a lot of ideas and wanted to hit as much water as we could, but we ultimately decided to focus on Yellowstone NP and the Snake River drainage.

It was the last week of August and I was warned about the probability of not being able to find somewhere to camp in Yellowstone without a reservation. We were very surprised when we called the park at 4pm from Cody and were told there were at least three campgrounds with openings.

Stuck

Yellowstone Cuttbow

Getting there

Yellowstone was great with pretty solid fishing, but the consistently cold and wet weather made us decide to head south and fish outside of the park.

Finally a clear night

After getting our asses handed to us on Flat Creek, we decided to do some hiking for the rest of the trip in order to get away from the crowds and pressured fishing.

Like any fishing trip, we didn't want it to be over, so we headed out for a mini trip at some local waters upon returning to Laramie:

Needless to say we are looking forward to fishing the western side of the state again.

Andrew

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Andrew: Great trip report with some awesome photos, thanks for sharing! Don't feel bad about Flat Creek, I fished Flat Creek with the three guys from Project Healing Waters that were touring Wyoming and they were all very good fly fishermen. Last year they had a banner year on Flat Creek, this year I landed one small Cuttie and a small Whitefish, one of the others landed another small Cuttie and one had a few hits on a dry but didn't land any fish, so we ate some humble pie to say the least. If you guys make it over to the western side of Wyoming again give me a shout.

slowdown

Reaction score
outstanding report. Must be nice to be young with time on your hands....

That pic with you guys standing back from the water with the mountains in the back is sick. Also love the close up on the cut release. Hope your grades this semester matched the excellence of the report

larue

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Larry,
I'll be sure to get in touch with you next time we make it out west (which will hopefully be soon), I've been out here for four years now and still have yet to fish the Green.

Andrew