Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: SW Wyoming PHW

Default SW Wyoming PHW

I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Default Re: SW Wyoming PHW

Hey ten-five, you are in luck. Larry - an administrator of the site - lives in Pinedale and is active in CFR and PHW. I'm sure he'll see this soon.

Thank you for you service.

If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com

5. Likes ten_fiver, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
    Larry

7. Likes ten_fiver, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
    I haven't had a lot of luck finding information about Project Healing Waters in this corner of Wyoming. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be my best bet, but I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's anything going on in western Wyoming.

I'm a vet, but I don't claim disability, so I'm looking more for opportunities to help out if I can. Thanks!
    We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
    It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. HST

9. Likes ten_fiver, fredaevans, cpiercem, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Ten_fiver: Good question, but as far as I know there isn't any PHW presence in this part of Wyoming. I know there is an active program in Casper and another in Sheridan, WY. The past couple of years we have provided flies to the Casper program that were donated by members of the forum and they are always very appreciative of the donation that we provide. My wife is a nurse and recently got a job working for the Jackson, WY hospital doing home health here in Sublette county, she has a patient that fly fishes and also ties. We were looking for a PHW program nearby, but struck out, but when you get on the national PHW web site and look at where they have programs you will note that they are all located out of VA facilities, which when you think about it makes sense.

Here is the PHW program in Salt Lake:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Salt Lake City Healthcare System High Country Fly Fishers 500 Foothill Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84148

Where can you find us?
    Thanks Larry,

Looking at their site I was surprised to see that no local chapters outside of VA facilities were listed. I wasn't sure if they just don't list small local chapters, or if Casper and Sheridan were it for Wyoming. I think I'll probably look into SLC.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by red feather troutbum View Post
    We were in the same boat last year; worked through the VA in Laramie/Cheyenne to get everything set up for an event in July, intend to continue to sponsor it annually for years to come....I know that is a long haul & not really an option for you but it was the closest one I know of; maybe they would have contacts closer to your corner of the state? If not, local TU groups may be a good start to reach out to as well?
    Thanks, and funny you should mention TU. Since I made the original post and saw Larry's reply, I started thinking that maybe TU would be a good starting point for this area. I seem to remember TU hosting a PHW event around here in the past (I could be wrong), so I think that they might be a good place to start.

11. Likes cpiercem, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    If you do need a Utah connection you can contact James Tibbetts @ 801-995-0351 or email tibbitts.james4@gmail.com

ten_fiver,
    Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
    1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.

13. Likes mcnerney, ten_fiver liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    ten_fiver,
    Have you tried contacting this fellow? He can give you all the information on the program based out on the SLC VA.

Or, Mike Leigh. He's the Program Coordinator of the Utah Program.
    1-435-901-8486.

The water where they hold their outings is about 35 miles West of you around the Echo Junction area on a private Ranch.
    No, I haven't yet. I figured I'd give a call after the holiday season settles down a bit. Thanks for the contact information!

That's interesting about using the Echo area, there's some nice spots down there. I had spent some time on private land in that area for work, and I couldn't help licking my chops thinking about how the fishing would be.

The water they fish is a lake and 2 ponds on the Heiner Ranch. If you turn off @ Echo and head back toward Evanston on the old road on the North side of the Interstate the ranch entrance is a couple miles.

I think Mike is probably your best option. He's an International Pilot so if he doesn't answer, leave him a message, he's pretty good about calling back.

16. Likes ten_fiver, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post