Rocky Mt Park 5/2/15

comeonavs

Reaction score
So after 18 holes of golf yesterday afternoon I woke up tired this morning but was bound and determined to leverage the hall pass I had to fish too. I headed up to RMNP and fished the Fern Lake trail from about 10:30-2:00. It was awesome as I had the whole river to myself, not another fishing soul in sight.

It was a educational day and I learned a lot

1) Make sure you get your line through all the guides on your rod before rigging up a bobber and double nymph rig
2) If you have vision trouble wear your glasses
3) Look behind you before you cast
4) Wind knots are possible even in the parking lot
5) If your bottom nymph is floating by your bobber, dont re-cast
6) IF your line is piled up on the left side of the reel strip it out and start over, it wont self heal

Oh yeah the fishing, well first the scenery. God it was gorgeous and great to get out and back up there. It was overcast and sprinkled occasionally. The evergreen trees smelled phenomenal and it was just quiet and peaceful

Ok the fishing, the flows were about 120CFS which is very fishable but 80-100 is ideal. There has apparently been a ton of rain up there as the lowlands were full of water and the river itself was very coffee colored, but I trudged on.

First fish was a nice brown on a calico midge, not sure he ate it since I actually hooked him in the forehead :eek:

After an hour of not much I finally wised up and put on the old pink san juan worm......tada

I caught about 15, long distance released about 5 others. One fish I forgot to debarb the hook and as I was trying to get the hook out something came out of his mouth that was gross so I dropped him in the river. When I got him back out I inspected him and it was a belly full of worms he was regurgitating. So I pushed the hook through, crimped the barb and then unhooked him easily making sure to not have him lose all the nutrients he worked so hard for.

Fishing was solid, the scenery was great and the solitude was epic.

IF you're thinking of hitting the park you maybe have a week left before runoff is in full effect

comeonavs

Reaction score
Yeah sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself,

We have so many threads on this board debating the value of a 4.4oz reel vs a 4.5oz reel and does an extra snake guide cause extra friction therefore impacting our casting stroke, but the reality of small stream fishing is so different.

I guess as I was de-fouling myself from bushes and staring at mother nature I forgot to worry about all the things we worry about when we are typing vs fishing

My favorite part of the day was trying to thread a tippet ring on my line with my necessary prescription eyeglasses a mere 6' away , but yet I struggled for 10 minutes until I just threw caution to the wind and put on my specs on......duh:rolleyes:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hey Brian, good to see that you got out and made a day of it. Even if you were laughing at yourself :) Do me a favor and get that runoff moving will ya. I'll be in Colorado in just under a month and I'm hoping that runoff is behind us by then.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Hey Brian, good to see that you got out and made a day of it. Even if you were laughing at yourself :) Do me a favor and get that runoff moving will ya. I'll be in Colorado in just under a month and I'm hoping that runoff is behind us by then.
IT should be rolling soon, you might be here in time for the Salmonfly hatch up on the Colorado which is not to be missed.

Look me up when you get here if you have time, we could grab a cup of coffee

okexpress

Reaction score
Golf and Fly Fishing......that's the best!

I love fishing that trail......scenery is memorable, and you can usually always scare up some fish.

Summer before the flood, I ran onto a Mama Moose & calf taking a drink on that stream. I backed out real quick. Only moose I've ever seen in the park. Won't ever forget that day.

iowa driftless

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea on what rmnp looks like with all the rain we've been getting? Was thinking about going up there this weekend. Thanks

comeonavs

Reaction score
Just looked online flows are 138 in moraine so they are still fish able

All the low lying areas were full last Saturday so I'd imagine the water is still pretty stained but at 138 it's fishable

Pack the old San Juan worms

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good report Brian but I'm still wondering about that extra snake guide :D

So let me get this straight, are you, Jason and Mike going to get together and fish or will it turn into a debate over reels:D

Couldn't resist,

Ard

comeonavs

Reaction score
Good report Brian but I'm still wondering about that extra snake guide :D

So let me get this straight, are you, Jason and Mike going to get together and fish or will it turn into a debate over reels:D

Couldn't resist,

Ard
No I won't be fishing with them since I don't want to debate tackle for 8 day plus I wasn't invited :teef:

Just kidding guys actually even if I was I will be in Oregon 5 of those 8 days at my only nephews graduation

jaybo41

Reaction score
Let's make something clear: There would be no tackle debate of sorts, perhaps a comparison of our personal favorites which may lead to future addictions by all, but no debates. Given the fact that each of us would likely be festooned in Simms waders, Abel Nippers in tow, there's no way we'd be debating tackle :shades: I am thinking more of a comparison of fine tackle, much like Sweetandsalt describes amongst his comrades.

That was a good one Ard.

Brian one of these trips out there we'll have to get calendars in sync and get together.