First Trip to Yellowstone

perchguy

Reaction score
I am new to this fishing forum and am looking for a little fishing advice for my a first family vacation to Yellowstone. We will be staying in Cooke City for the last week of June. It will be my wife and I and 3 kids (ages 16, 13, 11). The vast majority of my fishing experience is in Minnesota and Wisconsin with limited trout fishing. I have done some fly fishing in the past but am far from an expert. My sons have done a little fly fishing for bluegills and my wife and daughter would be fishing with spinning rods. All of us are experienced at fishing but very limited on trout experience. Looking for some pointers on some rivers to try that would be family friendly. Not at all concerned about which species of trout we catch, just looking to hook a few. We all have waders but certainly are not looking for too technical wading or fishing. We are planning on spending most of our time in the NE section of the Park. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
In late June, the streams you've heard of are going to be high and off-color in that part of the park. Focus on smaller streams draining smaller areas and you should be able to find small cutthroats or brook trout.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Exactly the area I would have suggested in that you have Soda Butte Creek, the Lamar, and if you choose to just slightly drive North out of Cooke City then to the left you can hit a number of great lakes along the Goose Lake Jeep trail.

B.E.F.

chechem

Reaction score
In late June, the streams you've heard of are going to be high and off-color in that part of the park. Focus on smaller streams draining smaller areas and you should be able to find small cutthroats or brook trout.
Actually, this year they will likely clear early. It was a mild winter, and predictions are for good fishing earlier.

See: Parks' Fly Shop and Yellowstone Fisheries News

darkshadow

Reaction score
Did a similar trip last year but not until September, and stayed in Silver Gate which is right next to Cooke City.

By that time, the waters in the NE section were fishing well and easily wadeable.

There are so many different areas around there, it's hard to even know where to start. If you prefer the "park on the side of the road" and not have to walk too far, the NE road in and out of the park parallels Soda Butte Creek near the NE entrance, and further down, the Lamar joins it.

I had the best day with a fly rod on the last day of my trip, since I overlooked the portion of Soda Butte near the cabin I was staying in. It was a phenomenal dry fly spectacle for 2 hours, with almost every drift resulting in at least a strike. (Note: This section requires you to have a Montana license, since the Yellowstone Park Fishing Permit is only for use inside the actual park)

The section of Soda Butte inside the park saw some fish, but they were a little harder to catch.

Even though it was on the itinerary, I didn't get to fish Slough Creek, but I hear that's a nice place to fish as well.

perchguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! The Lamar sounds like a pretty good place to start (assuming water conditions are ok). As I mentioned before, I am a novice to trout fishing in the west. Most of my trout fishing experience is for Steelhead running up the rivers from Lake Superior in Minnesota and Wisconsin which is a very different fishery. What time of day is likely to be the more productive in June? Mornings, afternoon, evening???

brownbass

Reaction score
Went to YSNP almost thirty years ago and was not any were near an accomplished fly fisherman and had a blast on a nondescript fly a friend gave me. Go and enjoy.