An Epic Journey to the Heart of Paradise

yatahey

Reaction score
Last weekend the long anticipated trip to camp and fish Arrowhead Lake, deep in the high lonesome of Rocky Mountain National Park came to be.
This trip has been in the planning since January, procuring the proper permits, renting of bear proof food storage cans, training for high altitude hiking and securing time off from work for some of the participants. There were six of us in the group.
Our trip started at Milner Pass 10, 758' on Friday morning 6 am. The trail would take us to a high point of 12,635' before dropping to Arrowhead Lake at 11,159'.
Even with all the training the hike in was brutal for me. [My bad in part due to bad fitting boots that seemed fine on training hikes]. Once the lungs opened up and you could breath the altitude was not a big factor. The trail was good for most of the trip along the Continental Divide until we neared the long sloping ridge we would descend to the lake.

photo by Rick Shroeder

The first gorge we came to had great views of some small, mostly shallow lakes. But man what a view. The big sloping ridge you see starting from the right in the distance is the ridge we went down to Arrowhead. The lakes are on the other side of the ridge.

photo by Bob Volpe

Our off trail route took us through a few nasty boulder fields that sucked to hike on. We met back up with one of our group who had gone ahead to photograph the lake from the cliffs above and just as we met at the ridge that leads down to the lake the rain and sleet hit.

photos by Rick Schoeder

Finally, we got down to the lake. Two of the stronger guys were so far ahead of us they were already fishing when we got to our camp site and one already caught seven fish.
After a little relaxing, recouping and setting up camp we hit the lake to do some fishing before dinner and darkness. Fish were caught, and there was much rejoicing

photos by Rick Schoeder

photos by Carper

photos by Bob Volpe

Some shots of the lake and surrounding area.

photos by Bob Volpe

photo by Rick Schroeder

The weather was... well, Colorado. Storms blew in and blew out. Wind blew, sun shined, and then Sunday morning the thick clouds covered the peaks and threatened to make the hike out a total pain in the butt.

We made the hike out in 4 hours 30 minutes despite or maybe because of the threatening weather and above timberline route. Hauled fanny. Me with bad feet, hurting quads and a strained groin muscle had the help of some Vicadin and splitting up some of my load to the other guys in order to get out.

photos by Rick Schroeder

After a celebratory Fat Tire ale at the vehicles it was off the GrandLake for some food, libation, and reminiscing.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Excellent post and pics. I miss the high mountain stuff, but it's fun to at least live it through your eyes and words. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Beautiful Cutties! Wow, I just love it when they color up like that in fall. I need to get out on the water.

How long of a hike is that?

yatahey

Reaction score
Beautiful Cutties! Wow, I just love it when they color up like that in fall. I need to get out on the water.

How long of a hike is that?
12 miles round trip and 3500 feet elevation gain.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Yat,

Thanks for sharing your trip. Some of my best memories are backpacking the high Sierras. Definitely a young mans game.

Frank

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yat: That was a great writeup on your trip into Arrowhead Lake in the latest addition of American Angler. Congrats on a very difficult hike and great adventure!

Larry

yatahey

Reaction score
Thanks Larry. That article was written by Jon, one of the group. I thought he did a great job too.
That trip is in the top five trips of my life.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry. That article was written by Jon, one of the group. I thought he did a great job too.
That trip is in the top five trips of my life.
And as it should be "A Trip of a Lifetime"! If I were younger I would make a trip up there it countryside looks awesome.

Larry

trout333

Reaction score
That does look like a tough trip. I've done day trips to some of the high lakes in the Snowy Range in Wyoming. Amazing countryside. There is good fishing, but we didn't do anywhere near as good as those beautiful trout

yatahey

Reaction score
Yat: I sure hope Jon continues to write about fishing articles, he is a natural at it (very enjoyable to read his work).

Larry
Well Larry, you're in luck. A group of us, including Jon, are planning a trip to a "to remain secret" location in search of the enigmatic Golden Trout. The Golden has not been stocked in Colorado Lakes since 1998, but it is believed a few managed to survive in this lake and are doing quite well at natural reproduction. The trip is being planned for late July or early August of this year.