Break in on the Juan

lacanadio

Reaction score
I've seen several people talk about this on another board and on Facebook (with pics.) A guy had his driver's side window broken out on his truck. Several jackets and his keys were taken (sort of surprised they didn't take the truck!) His buddy's mirror was broken while they were trying to get in that truck.

This happened at Munoz (lower flats/baetis bend) DUA over Thanksgiving break.

Aside: I've often wondered about "low traffic" areas there. I think we'll park at THole and walk. No guarantee, but there's more folks around all day.

mikechell

Reaction score
About 12 years ago, I was fishing a lake in Texas, on an inflatable raft. The only thing I left visibly in the rental car was an empty gas can. It was even lying on it's side, so was obviously not full. There was a laptop, but it was completely hidden from sight.
But someone broke a window out and stole both items. They had to have gone in for just the empty gas can and got "lucky" with the laptop.

Since that time ... My motto is, nothing left in view, period. I don't even leave pens in the cup holders. BUT, that is when I am on the road. Unfortunately, my van is my carrier for a bunch of stuff. If someone ever breaks in there, they'll get a pretty good haul. I've just been lucky, is all.

If I ever get my garage organized the way I'd like it to be ... I'll have a place for everything that's in the van. I'll only load the van with what I need for each trip ... nothing more.

Remember a few years ago ... when they were cutting catalytic converters off cars parked at boat ramps?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trail Cams. I know some vehicles have their own surveillance systems now. Todd Oishi just had his Competition rod jacked from a break in at a trail head.

When I travel I do not have the luxury of leaving all the stuff I have at a location and then going fishing so I have to take the risk. Like I have said before the trail cam does not prevent it but maybe we can know who and when.

mikechell

Reaction score
Putting a trail cam up, pointed at your vehicle might work.
However, I am pretty convinced (given the short amount of time I was actually fishing) that the thieves were in the parking lot, watching cars come and go, when I got there.
In that case, I would've just lost the camera too.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
There's been theft at t hole and everywhere else there over the years. It's not real bad that I know of. T hole is the safest but there was a multiple vehicle break in years ago. I've seen broken glass at cable hole parking and suspect that is a fast roadside getaway. I was parked there onetime when it happened a couple trucks down from me. I think that guy was kim or his client. I feel lucky. I can't protect stuff left in the truck there or anywhere.

alpobodog

Reaction score
Never had a problem on the Juan but I know it happens occasionally. I did lose 2 Benelli shotguns from my truck this Thanksgiving, parked at grandmas house in Roswell in a nice gated community. Broke a window and helped themselves, thieves suck

mikerb

Reaction score
I was camping along the Ark one summer, went hiking one afternoon and came back to my camp early to find a man digging in my ice chest. I almost always carry when I'm in Colorado alone. But I wasn't about to use a sidearm on a thief. I scared the **** out of him when I yelled from about 10 feet behind him. He had two of my beers in his hand at the time and he showed me two dollars he had put on top my Coleman stove, in exchange for the beers. I told him I didn't want his money just wanted him to put the beers back. He did. Boy was I pissed...he almost got away with taking my last two beers. I thought about kicking his butt, however I didn't want to take the chance of him getting the upper hand, so I kept my distance as that low life walked away. At the time I didn't have a cell phone to call the police or to take his picture...or I would have.

In retrospect, I think I did the right thing...he could have been breaking into my truck or taking my camping gear...I guess he was a thirsty, honest thief...if there is such a thing.

Who knows...if I were at my camp and he would have walked up and started talking to me...I probably would have offered him a cold beer.