CO Summer Camping Trip

lee_smn

Reaction score
Starting to plan a late July- early August camping trip with my wife and daughter. There are just too many awesome places in Colorado! Last year we went to Poudre area and loved it. Any suggestions for somewhere in the mountains I could fish, we could hike, there's nice forest and won't be packed in the middle of the busy season?

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Nope, none of that stuff here, I'd look elsewhere

I've been here 2 years now and spend A LOT of time in the mountains, and feel like I've only begun exploring. There are limitless places that meet your criteria, with the exception of the crowds part. The national park is amazing but will be a zoo that time of year unless you make it in to the backcountry sections. Outside of that, generally the further you get from I70 and the big resort towns the fewer crowds you'll see. We love the Buena Vista/Salida area, it's a little busier during rafting season but not bad. And the closer you get to August the rafters will be less and less.

lee_smn

Reaction score
Yeah we had season passes to RMNP last year and went alot, definitely not going camping there in middle of summer. Makes sense that the further away from 70 gets less busy.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
If you're thinking the northern part of the state again, State Forest State Park is a really nice area too. Only been in the winter so not sure what crowds are like in summer, but it's a pretty good hike from anywhere with a high population so I wouldn't imagine it would be too terrible.

Opposite side, Gunnsion/Crested Butte/Durango are also supposed to be incredible and are a long drive from the big front range cities. Haven't been to any of them yet but plan to remedy that this summer :)

lee_smn

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with camp dick, on middle st vrain creek?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

If you're thinking the northern part of the state again, State Forest State Park is a really nice area too. Only been in the winter so not sure what crowds are like in summer, but it's a pretty good hike from anywhere with a high population so I wouldn't imagine it would be too terrible.

Opposite side, Gunnsion/Crested Butte/Durango are also supposed to be incredible and are a long drive from the big front range cities. Haven't been to any of them yet but plan to remedy that this summer :)
Yeah state forest state park was where we went near the Poudre and it was awesome! Crested butte might work, I'll check it out. That's would be about as far as my wife would be willing to drive though.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
tx newb is spot on. The Estes Park area would be crowded. You can go up the Poudre Canyon again, but continue to the North Park area. Walden is a small town with great fishing and not crowded at all.

If you go to the Western Slope, The White River is one of my favorite areas. Lots of fish, not many people. The river is between the Yampa and Colorado, so it's kind of forgotten about.

The Eagle River fishes great, and for some reason it doesn't get the attention that other nearby rivers get. Too bad, because the Eagle has quality fish in size and numbers.

Back on the Front Range, the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area is full of lakes and streams just filled with fish. I will be honest and say that there are hikers, but they stay away from the streams and creeks. These waters are on average 20 - 25 feet across making it prime 3wt rod adventures.

joefbtg28

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with camp dick, on middle st vrain creek?

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Yeah state forest state park was where we went near the Poudre and it was awesome! Crested butte might work, I'll check it out. That's would be about as far as my wife would be willing to drive though.
The Peaceful Valley campground at camp dick is really busy in the summer, as to be expected.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Camp Dick was great on 4th of July if you're in to unsupervised children with whistles standing next to your campsite

It's was busy but I also think camp dick got destroyed by the floods, not sure if it's back open or functional

scotty macfly

Reaction score
That's the problem with the Front Range area, you're not going to escape the crowds.

All I can say is "go west young man", and try the Rio Grande River around South Fork. There's also The Arkansas in Salida. Can't beat 100 miles of gold medal trout water. Canon City has camping areas off hwy 50, and the river is right there.

branjg

Reaction score
+1 for Salida, great town with great fishing. South fork and Creede are also great with the Rio Grande right there and tons of small creeks. Also a lot of forest around both places.

The southwest of the state really has great fishing and probably not near as much pressure from the cities. Animas, San Juan, Piedra, Los Piños rivers to fish. Plus lots of small streams and lakes. There is also a bunch of stuff to do with the family. Hiking, train rides, Mesa Verde, rafting, you could also go north to the small mining towns.

countr21

Reaction score
I live in the Denver metro area, and my favorite area to car camp is most definitely the Flat Tops. As its name implies, the Flat Tops is large, high plateau rising 1500-2000' straight up from the surrounding valleys. The scenery of the Flat Tops is quite distinctive compared to the rest of the state, making for a nice departure from the usual monumental peaks and yawning valleys that are so ubiquitous in the state. The best two areas in the Flat Tops are Trappers Lake and the Stillwater Reservoirs just west of Yampa. Both places have pleasant campgrounds adjacent to good fishing and protected wilderness areas with very good hiking.

Trappers is quite scenic and has superb fishing for cutts in the 12-16" range with a few larger fish to 18-19". The lake can be a little stingy sometimes, but when it's hot......it's on fire. The afternoon spinner falls and evening midge hatches are epic. When the wind kicks up on the big lake, head down the fork of the White River and there's fun fishing for small cuttbows and brookies. There are several hikes that lead up to the top of the plateau. Little Trappers Lake and Wall Lake are a must. Trappers can get crowded on holidays and weekends, and the campgrounds can be a little short on privacy, but I always go mid-week and never have a problem. You have to want to go to Trappers Lake.......it's a haul. Expect at a five hour drive, with a 90 minute stretch on a dusty washboard road that goes over two passes.

The fishing isn't as good as Trappers, but a place I like better is the Stillwater entrance at the head of the Bear River west of Yampa. It's only a 3.5 hour drive from Golden. There are three large reservoirs connected by the Bear River: Yamcolo Reservoir (allows motorized boating), Bear Lake, and Upper Stillwater Reservoir. All lakes are stocked with fingerling rainbows and there are a few cutthroats and brookies around. The Bear River connects the lakes and can be fun fishing when the wind is merciless out on the big lakes. I love hiking in this area. The Mandall Lakes are a blast and it seems like the entire hike is in one huge aspen grove. The Devil's Causeway hike is an absolute must if you have kids. Mosquito Lake is an easy two mile hike past Upper Stillwater, and I always see moose at Mosquito. I've only caught small brookies up at Mosquito, but I once saw an old picture of a kid holding a monster brook trout. Like Trappers Lake, the Stillwater area can get a little crowded on the weekends, but it's very nice mid-week. And with three large lakes, there is more than enough room for everyone to fish. There are three campgrounds and Bear Lake campground is by far the best. Head to the northeast corner deep in the timber for super-private sites.

Trappers Lake

Stillwater Area west of Yampa

Last edited:

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Some good advice given. There is so much to see here. SW Colorado has Mesa Verde National Park. The Ouray area and the drive on Hwy 550 is the most scenic in the state. Has a WOW factor. Lots of choices for camping and fishing as well. Lots to see and do like the Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train.