Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  117
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Advice for a young Englishman pointing towards the rockies if you please!

For anyone visiting that part of the world for the first time, I don't think you can beat Yellowstone NP. There really is something special about being able to fish through herds of bison (though beware and keep a safe distance) or seeing elk and moose along a stream.

Yes, it is crowded.... But not once you get more than a quarter mile from a parking area.

Yes, you have to buy a park license.... But for any of us visiting from out of state, it's no different since you don't need a nonresident state license for days you're only fishing in the park.

Don't miss Yellowstone, at least for a couple days. It is a very unique and special place.

ryan

2. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post
  3. Default Re: Advice for a young Englishman pointing towards the rockies if you please!

Hi Andrew, You can say "*******s" on this forum, I'm sure. PM me and I can give you some advice. I live in Ennis Montana (for the warm half of the year) and can give you a few tips on places to fish the mighty Madison. Cheers, John

4. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Default Re: Advice for a young Englishman pointing towards the rockies if you please!

To find solitude, especially if you like lake fishing, the further you hike the less people you will encounter. Like the others have said Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are nice. And second a Delorme Atlas/Gazeteer map book of the state you are in. If you go to that area DO go to Yellowstone National Park.
    SW Colorado has less fishing pressure than the rest of the state and spectacular scenery. The drive on Hwy. 550 in the Ouray area not only is the most beautiful drive in Colorado but one of the most beautiful in the world. Some good beers in the states these days.
    One of my favorites is the English style "Fat Tire".
    No one mention this-bring mosquito repellant!!!
    Word of caution:
    If you plan on hiking I would highly recommend a GPS. It's BIG country in the Rockies and many people get lost every year. The weather changes very quickly in the Rockies. It can be 80F and sunny and minutes later raining/hailing/ strong winds and 45F. Hypothermia is a real danger during the summer if you aren't prepared.

Cheers...

6. Likes mcnerney, k_e_v, fredaevans liked this post

For those of you who want a world traveler's perspective on fly fishing the world from the USA to New Zealand, to Patagonia, to the Kamchatka Penisula in Russia, listen to the latest podcast at Itinerant Angler:

World Explorer with Dr. Al Simpson

You will be surprised at where he would fish as a last wish.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

As an older Englishman that lives in the states now all I have to add is -"do it".

Your life will likely change direction if you visit any of the areas recommended. I know if I had been to them when I was in my early 20's I would probably have done some different things, well at least until I got married.

10. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
    As an older Englishman that lives in the states now all I have to add is -"do it".

Your life will likely change direction if you visit any of the areas recommended. I know if I had been to them when I was in my early 20's I would probably have done some different things, well at least until I got married.
    First laugh of the morning! Loved the "at least until I got married." Seems to work out that way unless you find a 'Mate' that likes to fish. For the most part ... lots of luck with that one.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    For those of you who want a world traveler's perspective on fly fishing the world from the USA to New Zealand, to Patagonia, to the Kamchatka Penisula in Russia, listen to the latest podcast at Itinerant Angler:

World Explorer with Dr. Al Simpson

You will be surprised at where he would fish as a last wish.
    Silver: That ending was very interesting to say the least. I also liked how he compared Patagonia to Montana, that was a real eye opener. His comment about Kamchatka and how easy the fishing was that it gets a little boring after awhile. Thanks for posting that podcast.
    Larry

I'm Canadian and know nothing about the area, but I applaud you for taking the trip. It sounds like it will be a great time. Best of luck.

15. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    but it also has the probably the highest density of fisherman per mile river during peak tourist season. Plus if one is on a budget, the inside the park fishing is the last place I would go, pay to get in, pay for an extra license, and fish with everyone else.
    i fish in the park quite a bit from opening throughout the tourist season until just before it closes. i never end up fishing with/by other people. there are so many rivers and miles of each river its easy to find solitude unless you want to fish in front of the geysers on the firehole/ go to any fly shop in west and theyll give you goods recommendations

17. Likes mcnerney, smarty140 liked this post
  18. Default Re: Advice for a young Englishman pointing towards the rockies if you please!

Guys! Three things to start with:
    Firstly I'm so sorry I've neglected to respond to you with the same promptness that you did me but I've had to do plenty of deliberating, hard, careful job searching and calculation.

Secondly, thank you so much for all of your effort in educating my decision on this trip and your words of encouragement as there have been days where I thought this wasn't a good plan for a 23 year old graduate's long term!

Thirdly: I've booked my flights to Missoula, MT in mid-june!!! Very very excited! It's going to take a lot of hard work, have got myself 2 jobs now which means a number of 14 hour days but I'll thank myself later.

I've decided to not only fish for two or three weeks in MT but extend my trip to a several month road trip starting in Missoula. I'm even going to seize the opportunity to see Cuba! Also planning on participating in the WWOOF scheme where one can work x hours a day for board and lodgings on organic farms all over the USA where I'm sure to find some fishing after the work is completed each day.

Any suggestions for my ongoing journey into September (hopefully) gratefully received - fish related or otherwise.

All the best guys and wish me luck!

19. Likes fictitious, k_e_v, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast