Help requested for 2016 Memorial trip to Dubois, WY

sheepdog

Reaction score
I am reaching out and asking for a little help/advice for a trip that My brother and I will be taking in about a week from Northern California to Dubois, Wyoming. Our tentative plan so far is to drive straight from Sacramento CA to the Cokeville WY area on the 29th. We intend to camp there that night near Hobble Creek. The next day will consist of fishing Hobble Creek then pushing to Fontanelle lake that evening where we will camp in preparation for a drift boat trip with Larry Mcnerney on the 1st. After the 1st, our schedule is pretty flexibile and we will be fishing/camping our way to Dubois where we intend to spend a few days to visit and fish the surrounding areas. We are fairly flexible on a route as long as it goes in the general direction of Dubois or back home to CA. I am NOT asking for people to let me in on their honey holes, but simply asking for pointers on worthwhile places to fish on our journey. I have also been doing my own homework to see where productive waters are. I have to admit that most of our fishing will consist of park and play type stuff since we do have a deadline to make in Dubois, WY.

Here's a little Insight as to why we are making this trip...

In 2004 My brother was a Navy Corpsman with a Marine Unit operating in Ramadi, Iraq. On April 9th, the lead vehicle in their convoy was struck by an IED and disabled. Immediately following the detonation of the bomb, several Insurgents opened fire on the entire convoy. Many Marines were wounded during the battle and one unfortunately was killed due to a shot in the head while he was engaging the enemy machine gun positions from the crew served weapon on the tip of the Humvee. This Marine was one of my brother's closest friends and if it wasn't for him selflessly exposing himself to enemy machine gun fire, there's a very good chance My brother wouldn't be here today. This Marine's name was Lance Corporal Chance Phelps. We are going up to Dubois, Wyoming where the rest of the unit will be going to meet with the Phelps Family and pay dues to Chance at the local Cemetery where he was laid to rest. We made this trip in April 2014 for the 10th anniversary of LCpl Phelps' death. He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star with the Combat "V" Device for his heroic actions that day. My brother was also awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" Device for his actions during the same firefight. There was a movie made about LCpl Phelps' journey home from Iraq. The movie is titled "Taking Chance" starring Kevin Bacon. If you are interested, I strongly recommend you take an hour and a half and watch it.

Anyway, I don't mean to get all sentimental on you guys but if nothing else, please take a moment to remember our service members who put their lives on the line for us so we can enjoy fishing in this wonderful country. I was a Navy Corpsman myself, just like my brother and I know that if he wasn't in my life, I wouldn't be the man I am today. So I would love for us to be able to fish some productive waters together as we remember Chance Phelps and thank him for letting us spend this time together.

Thank you!

Last edited:

sheepdog

Reaction score
2014 was awesome! Fished many different places and caught so many fish! It was really nice to meet Chance's family too.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great Story! I graduated from GJHS in 84. This whole ordeal hit us hard when it went down. Extended family from the Grand Valley.

Just drove through Dubois a couple times and always think and thank Chance and all others for their service to our country!

sheepdog

Reaction score
Still looking for some tips if anyone is willing to help out. Thanks for those who already threw a few my way!

dryfly307

Reaction score
29th of June. We will be back in California July 08.
I would expect the larger streams in the Cokeville area to be running pretty high and fast. They seem to get get a lot of snow in those mountains so the snowmelt lasts quite a while from my experience. Good luck on your trip. 

Last edited:

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
dang, I wish I would have seen this earlier. I am in Lander right now and had the chance to go fish Dubois yesterday, but opted for some untouched private land I got access to. did you go to any of the places I sent you messages about 2 summers ago? I'd love to see some pictures again when you get around to it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

teardrop

Reaction score
As a VA nurse I see Hero's often but it still shakes a person down to his boots when stories like this is heard. On the Fourth of July we all should take a full minute to give thanks to all that serve. Three years ago another IED took my son-in-laws lower leg and three of his fellow soldiers lives. Bless all who serve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clay tonian

Reaction score
Well, we need a trip report for this one...

And...I watched "Taking Chance" last night. My wife and I were mesmerized for the entire movie. I can't think of any Military movie that was more respectful to the fallen heroes and their families sacrifice than this one. Truly blown away...everybody should see this film.