Yellowstone or Wind River

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
My Nephew and I are planning a trip to Wyoming, landing at Jackson Hole on Aug 17th, fishing till the 25th. We are looking to put together a 8-12 mile remote round trip, hitting a few streams and small lakes for trout.

I was initially looking at the Wind River Wilderness area, but thought Yellowstone might be more suited to what we're looking for.

Ordered a couple books, have done a lot of reading and really feel like I'm not getting it or August is not so good.

My early research indicated that Aug was a good month to be there, but now I'm starting to second guess.

I already did my interduction, so I will bother you gentlemen with a couple questions..............was August a mistake and do you have to camp in a campground in Yellowstone. Our intention was to hike in to a nice stretch of river and camp along it, hike to another stream, same thing, but if I'm reading right you can only camp in a campground?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm sorry in advance for the many questions I will bother you with:)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
My Nephew and I are planning a trip to Wyoming, landing at Jackson Hole on Aug 17th, fishing till the 25th. We are looking to put together a 8-12 mile remote round trip, hitting a few streams and small lakes for trout.

I was initially looking at the Wind River Wilderness area, but thought Yellowstone might be more suited to what we're looking for.

Ordered a couple books, have done a lot of reading and really feel like I'm not getting it or August is not so good.

My early research indicated that Aug was a good month to be there, but now I'm starting to second guess.

I already did my interduction, so I will bother you gentlemen with a couple questions..............was August a mistake and do you have to camp in a campground in Yellowstone. Our intention was to hike in to a nice stretch of river and camp along it, hike to another stream, same thing, but if I'm reading right you can only camp in a campground?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm sorry in advance for the many questions I will bother you with:)
Hello Mark, glad to meet you.

Quick question for you first. You mentioned that "Yellowstone might be suited a little more for what your looking for". What is it that you are looking for?

IMHO Yellowstone is still going to be crowded until after Labor Day, and the Wind River Wilderness shouldn't be near as busy. I've not been to the WRW yet, so I may be up in the night. lol

Yes, in the Park you have to stay in a designated spot when camping, I'm not sure about 'Potty Facilites', meaning I don't know if you have to pack out your own 'waste' to be disposed of @ a sanitation facility, or if you can legally dig and bury 'human waste'.

Yellowstone has some very beautiful places, but I've seen some pics from WRW that are mind bending gorgeous.

I think you will have a great time in either place.

'Davo' is a guide out of Jackson, maybe he will have some more definate answers for you. Hopefully he will see this thread and reply, if he doesn't reply soon, you could always p.m. him.

plland

Reaction score
I'm planning a similar trip to Wyoming for this summer. I think I'm going to go to the Wind River Range (though where specifically, I'm not entirely decided..it's a big place). Part of my own decision is that it'll mostly be a backpacking trip and I don't like crowds (not that the Yellowstone backcountry is crowded), but the other part of that is simply that there are a lot fewer grizzley bears in the Winds (none in the southern part of the range, as I understand it). Grizzleys kind of freak me out, to be honest...

I don't think August was a mistake, although the area around Jackson Hole can definitely get some routine afternoon thunderstorms almost every day, if that's what you're referring to.

Also, the previous poster makes a good point, "what are you looking to get out of this trip?" This would help us give you more relevant responses.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

We're looking to park the car, hit the woods, hike a few miles to remote water, camp and fish a day. Hike a couple more miles, camp and fish, then hike a couple more, camp and fish, for 4 or 5 days. Hopefully in a bit of a "U" Shaped Pattern, coming out a few miles from where we parked the car.

Not looking for paved or graveled trails with signs, heck don't care if there are trails:).

When in Alaska we flew into the Upper Russian, then hiked and fished 12 miles back to civilization........just looking for something similar to that in Wyoming.

It just sounds like everything has marked trails, signs, campgrounds. I have a couple books, another one coming and will continue to read, but it sounds like we can't hike in 6 or so miles and stop and camp, which just seems odd.

wtex50

Reaction score
If you are starting in Jackson Hole you can do the Snake and the Hoback Rivers...but I would also try Crystal Creek and the Gros Ventre River Northeast of Jackson. I really enjoy Crystal Creek

in August - Stimulators, Turck Tarantula, Royal Wulffs, Ants, Hoppers and a JJ Special ( a type of bugger at High Country Flies). There are two really good fly shops in Jackson - High Country Flies and Jack Dennis as well as an Orvis shop. Look them up on the net and give them a call. They can tell you what to use and where they are biting. I personnaly have used High Country Flies and couldn't ahve been happier with their professionalism and service. Good Fishing

Davo

Reaction score
Well both Yellowstone and the Wind River offer what it seems you are looking for. The Wind River area also offers the opportunity to catch some great Golden Trout in many of the little lakes through out that Mt Range.

If you wish to fish the Yellowstone back country you need to get in touch with the Park before you come. Find out the regulations and what areas are open. There are specific back country sites that you will have to camp in. These are not camp grounds. They are individual sites spread out over the back country. Some are first come first serve others must be reserved in advance. August is a good time as some back country areas are closed until that time due to bear activity.

One trip you might want to inquire about would be the Upper Yellowstone. Take a shuttle boat across the lake and then hike in from there up the South East Arm. Many lakes and small creeks and very remote stretches of the Yellowstone headwaters.

But I recommend you get in touch with the Park prior to coming out. They can help you plan a great back country hiking fishing trip.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Thank you for some good advice. I will try to touch base with the Park to confirm the camping situation, though I think you are right. If I confirm that remote camping is not authroized, I will most likely start looking into the Wind River Area, though as I continue to read there are river in the Yellowstone area outside of Yellowstone that are accessable.

Seems like a good knowledge base here and if you don't mind I will continue to post our plans and if you see me completely getting it wrong, don't hesitate to say so.

Thanks

plland

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that Teton Wilderness offers some good remote fly fishing, similar to what you find in Yellowstone, but less crowded and less restricted. Maybe someone more familiar with that area can offer some more insight on this option, whether good or bad...I'm just going on something I read. Also, if you don't have Rich Osthoff's book "Fly-Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry" you might want to pick that up as it's got some good information about the type of trip you're planning.

Davo

Reaction score
Thank you for some good advice. I will try to touch base with the Park to confirm the camping situation, though I think you are right. If I confirm that remote camping is not authroized, I will most likely start looking into the Wind River Area, though as I continue to read there are river in the Yellowstone area outside of Yellowstone that are accessable.

Seems like a good knowledge base here and if you don't mind I will continue to post our plans and if you see me completely getting it wrong, don't hesitate to say so.

Thanks
The park has maps of all the back country campsites. I also believe that the USGS maps have all the trails and campsites on their TOPO maps. I don't have any knowledge on the Winds. Couple of my friends have gone in there and had a blast, but I have not done it myself.

I have canoed up the Southeast Arm of Yellowstone Lake and camped by the mouth of the river. Lots of great hiking to remote lakes and creeks from there. You'll be fishing big Yellowstone Cutthroats along the shore of the lake and in the river. That part of the lake is no motor zone so not many people go there. I only did it for a couple of days. Always wanted to go back for like a week or more to really explore the area.
All the campsites are seperated by about a mile or more. They consist of a fire ring and a cable in the trees for hanging you cooking gear out of bear reach. Other than that they are rustic.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mark,
How about going to 'Google Earth', zooming in and getting the overhead view of both places!
I recently did this and followed the Snake River from it's headwaters all the way to Idaho Falls, and The Henrys' Fork from Big Springs all the way to the confluence with the Snake.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Looks like it will be the Wind River Wilderness Area for us. Included in the half dozen books I bought I also bought "Walking the Winds" a very good book with alot of info.

It was a tough call, alot of beautiful areas out there, but I think the winds will suit us best..............this time:)

Thanks for all the help so far and I will apologize in advance for the many questions I will have.

Davo

Reaction score
This site is all about the questions, no need for apologies. Enjoy the Winds and catch a few Goldens for us. Some photos would be great. :wink:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
fysh

That was a great idea about using Goggle Earth, never would have thought of using that. I downloaded Goggle Earth and did a view of the South Fork of the Snake from Palisades down through the canyon. Pretty cool way to look a river over from above.

Larry

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Larry,
It is great, I've been traveling up and down several of my favorite rivers. Geez am I tired....:wink:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Looks like it will be the Wind River Wilderness Area for us. Included in the half dozen books I bought I also bought "Walking the Winds" a very good book with alot of info.

It was a tough call, alot of beautiful areas out there, but I think the winds will suit us best..............this time:)

Thanks for all the help so far and I will apologize in advance for the many questions I will have.

Mark,
I recently had a long conversation with a guy I know who has done a few pack trips into each.
According to him, the fishing on the Yellowstone headwaters pales in comparison to the fishing in the Wind River Range, he's a good fisherman and someone I trust.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
In Michigan when one goes up North to fish there are people who will spot your truck so you can do a river trip and your truck is there when you get to your take out spot.

Am starting to look at transportation. Seems crazy to rent a car to drive it to the Wind River Wilderness area, park it for 5 or 6 days then drive it back to the airport.

Is there a similar service in your area that does something similar. Drops you off, picks you up a week later............sounds a bit crazy, but if there is not seems a guy could make a few bucks starting one.

Davo

Reaction score
2Paws

I'm PM you info on a woman who shuttles my float trips she may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Thanks Davo, got the PM and will touch base with her tomorrow.

Well heres what we're thinking. If anybody has been there, has any information, or thinks I am completely off base feel free to say so.:)

Starting at the Green River Lake, hiking on the Highline Trail to the Roaring Fork Trail and following that to Crescent lake and Faler Lake. From there we're crossing to Clear Lake, down to slide lake and the Porcupine Creek Trail

All told about 20-25 miles. We'll be spending 7 nights on the trail, with 8 days to travel.

Two real concerns. While there is plenty of Lake fishing in the area, are Mill Creek, Clear Creek, Porcupine Creek fishable. I am assuming there is fishing in the Green River as well as the Roaring Fork.

While we enjoy lake fishing we really like fishing the rivers and streams.

My only real conern is that there is no trail between Faler and Clear Lakes. Looked at Map.live and from I can see we should be able to cut cross country.

Would also appreciate a good link for topo maps of that area......and of course any input on flys.........must start tying.:).

Any input on a cheap hotel near the airport would also be appreciated. Looks like we will come out the afternoon of the 24th, shower, sleep in a bed for an early am flight on the 25th.

Anyhow that is the plan, your thoughts.

Davo

Reaction score
Try the Flat Creek motel, closest to the airport in Jackson. Don't know prices. Do a google search for USGS topo maps find the one for that area. They are the best maps and usually have all known trails marked.

NickFlyer

Reaction score
The girlfriend and I are going up to Yellowstone in June and the crowds shouldn't be terrible yet. In all honesty it is a hiking/camping/bonding trip first but I def. will be sneaking out of the tent at 6 in the morning to do some fishing. It looks like you already made your decision but I was going to say that Yellowstone does offer quite a bit of back country camping however I don't know how close to any rivers or streams. I also heard the Tetons have just as good of fishing with out the crowds and not as strict regs.

Hope you have a nice trip up there, I KNOW I WILL. :)