Help fishing south east idaho

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I havent been on in a while. I recently graduated college and me and my girlfriend moved to Blackfoot. I havent fly fished really for a few years so I am itching to get back at it. I am not looking for honey holes just looking for advice on areas I can take my girlfriend and teach her. Prefer somewhere that a some what clumsy beginner can safely wade.

Even 6 inch stocked fish would be fine just something to get her going.

I tried fishing below palisades resevoir a few years ago but without a boat there wasnt much I could do there. I want to take her over by sunvalley but I am looking for ideas on areas closer to home that we could do on a quick day trip or even an evening after work.

Thanks all.

steez

Reaction score
Hey!

I've lived in Pocatello since October 2015 and I thought I'd help you out some here. At first glance you may not think there is much fishing around the blackfoot/Pocatello area but there is plenty!

Without giving away too much you should definitely check out these systems (upper Blackfoot River, portneuf river near lava hot springs, american falls tailwater, stocked lakes in town (check idfg website for stocking records) since runoff is still heavy and you want to get the girlfriend into the hobby, you should follow where idfg has stocked. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, we are within 3 hours of hundreds maybe even thousands of amazing trout streams (silver Creek, Henry's fork, big lost, big wood, hundreds of Alpine lakes, Yellowstone, Tetons, ogden river, etc.) Most streams hold fish.

There are some other areas that I really like to fish but won't disclose them on the forum haha. Id be down to meet up sometime and go fishing. Need some fishing buddies out here.

Josh

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Hey!

I've lived in Pocatello since October 2015 and I thought I'd help you out some here. At first glance you may not think there is much fishing around the blackfoot/Pocatello area but there is plenty!

Without giving away too much you should definitely check out these systems (upper Blackfoot River, portneuf river near lava hot springs, american falls tailwater, stocked lakes in town (check idfg website for stocking records) since runoff is still heavy and you want to get the girlfriend into the hobby, you should follow where idfg has stocked. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, we are within 3 hours of hundreds maybe even thousands of amazing trout streams (silver Creek, Henry's fork, big lost, big wood, hundreds of Alpine lakes, Yellowstone, Tetons, ogden river, etc.) Most streams hold fish.

There are some other areas that I really like to fish but won't disclose them on the forum haha. Id be down to meet up sometime and go fishing. Need some fishing buddies out here.

Josh
Haha thanks ya when I browse my maps and look at the internet its hard to find a lot of good info because everyone mostly talks about Silver creek, Henrys fork, and South fork of the snake..

Is the upper blackfoot river the portion above blackfoot reservoir? I was wanting to ride over that way and fish around Soda just wasnt sure.

Yea I know theres tons of good fishing within a few hour drive I just need to find areas a little closer that we could spend half a day fishing or a place with good camping since the girl friend has a small lap dog which needs to be watched and taken care of.. :icon_neut

steez

Reaction score
You are correct in regards to the upper Blackfoot. Mctucker ponds are BLM land and have free camping. To the best of my knowledge they are frequently stocked.

mojo

Reaction score
I'm not going to give the name away, but there's a great small "pond" just outside of Blackfoot. Maybe 45 minutes away. Coming out of Blackfoot on 39 towards Aberdeen.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Birch Creek is a good creek to take a beginner to. Six to ten inch fish, but there are plenty of them, and they aren't too picky.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Birch Creek could be a good spot for you and your GF as there is public access and it has some secluded spots in many places along the tree-lined stream offering the two of you privacy and when I was there were very few if any others in the area. The rainbow are small, like the man said 'bout 6 to 10 inches.
Since you are in Blackfoot, yea you should check out the BR over around Soda Springs ?

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Awesome thanks everyone! We spend the weekend in Jackson and seeing all the fishing is really making my antsy. My new Winston should be here friday and hopefully the rest of my gear will be down within the week!