Wind River Range Trip Planning

smarty140

Reaction score
Thanks! Were looking into maybe doing 3-4 night trip for the first week of July...
The first week of July is pretty early - I’ve been in the Winds in mid to late July and there was still patches of snow at 9500 feet and the mosquitos were HORRIBLE... and I’m from northern Minnesota where people joke about mosquitos being our state bird...

ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The first week of July is pretty early - I’ve been in the Winds in mid to late July and there was still patches of snow at 9500 feet and the mosquitos were HORRIBLE... and I’m from northern Minnesota where people joke about mosquitos being our state bird...

ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan: That is the main reason I always recommend August for a trip into the Winds!

rocketbomb

Reaction score
On a normal snow year, first week of July is going to be pretty darn early. I'd call it too early, myself. Might work on a warm or low snow year, or if you stay really low. Mid July can work if you're willing to work around snow and ravenous mosquitoes to find ice-out fish, though if you're not pushing to super high lakes you may be OK. But the bugs. Before the end of july the bugs are going to be epic. I mean, pack lots of 99% DEET and a head net and prepare to use them both extensively. The fishing can be quite good early though, if you're willing to put up with the challenges.

Personally, I prefer late July because the fishing is still good, snow is not as much of an issue, and the bugs begin to calm down a bit. August, the fishing isn't as good, but I've done a couple trips in August and didn't even need bug spray at all.

dryfly307

Reaction score
August is a great time to go on the Winds if you’d like to hang out with half the folks of SLC/Denver metro area. Early July will have a lot of snow and ice when you get up high but you will have some solitude and the fishing is much better in July than in August(allegedly). That is if you find some open water, and low elevation wilderness lakes are always a good option at that time of year (around 9k).

However, camping can be pretty miserable at that time of year at those elevations...I prefer sleeping in my bed, then driving to the trailhead early and making a long day trip.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man I loved that movie. I saw it on Netflix last May 2018. Bought it. Must have watched it 20 times since then. And on my move from wa state next week towards Cheyenne it will be awesome to drive by the rest and see that sign

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks very much, sitting in my apt in pine, waiting for July so I can get out there. Anyone camping out & fly fishing under the thunder this week? Darn I can’t wait to be fishing again it’s been 4 yrs.