Pinedale Wyoming area in mid-september?

crews2

Reaction score
I will be camping outside of Pinedale for a week in September. We plan on doing some hiking into the Wind River Range for fishing(Day Hikes) as well as fishing the Upper Green River along the forest service road(352?).

I haven't fished this area since 2000, I used to backpack into the Winds for fishing, but my wife no longer feels up to it.

My first question is has the Oil and Gas development that has occurred there negatively impacted the area in a visible way? I will be driving up from Salt Lake, we will be driving through oil and gas fields. The drive to Big Sandy is that impacted?

Is the Green River still fully accessible along the forest road(352)? What about crowding?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I will be camping outside of Pinedale for a week in September. We plan on doing some hiking into the Wind River Range for fishing(Day Hikes) as well as fishing the Upper Green River along the forest service road(352?).

I haven't fished this area since 2000, I used to backpack into the Winds for fishing, but my wife no longer feels up to it.

My first question is has the Oil and Gas development that has occurred there negatively impacted the area in a visible way? I will be driving up from Salt Lake, we will be driving through oil and gas fields. The drive to Big Sandy is that impacted?

Is the Green River still fully accessible along the forest road(352)? What about crowding?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hang in there crews, Larry(Mcnerney) is the man who will have your answers:thumbsupu He must be fishing but you can rest assured when he see this he will provide helpful info.

best, kev

scoutm

Reaction score
He is fishing and visiting the grand kids...he's most definitely the man with your answers.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I have been fishing the Gunnison river for the past ten days now I'm visiting family.

There isn't any oil/gas development on hwy 352. Once you get past the end of the paved road all that land is BLM so camping is not a problem. I don't go up there as the four wheelers tear up the dirt road making for some miserable driving conditions. The area receives a lt of camping throughout the summer and they like to eat trout, so by Sept you can imagine what size of trout that are left.

I haven't been to Big Sandy, primarily due to my wife telling me how crowded it gets, so I can't help there.

I'll send you a pm with some other ideas for fishing.

crews2

Reaction score
Larry,

Thanks so much for the information both here and in the PM. This will be very helpful. Like I said I haven't fished the Pinedale area since 2000, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks again:)