Up date on proposed Reg changes for the Bitterroot river in SW Montana.

Redbrook

Reaction score
Good article. Typical of many of our outdoor resource issues and how we best use them. How do we balance the needs of the local angler vs. the outfitters and how does this effect the overall community in general. Decisions made about river usage go beyond just the fisherman but effect the hotels, diners, fly shops and bars in the area. Always difficult to balance out everyone's needs fairly.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Very interesting.

I would like to see something like that here on my overcrowded river. There are 50+ guide boats a day on my local river you might see one or two personal boats.

A select few of the guide boats are polite but 95% of them are bullies on the river and try to push you out of holes. And tell you they have the right of way.

I'd vote for it.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Speaking as Midwesterner who partakes in Western fishing almost every year, would limiting guide boats on a river potentially push anglers out further to other less trafficked areas? Or are drift boat anglers hell bent on fishing/floating certain rivers year in and year out? I don't boat fish out West. Strictly hike, fish, rinse, repeat. I understand that not everyone has that physical ability to do what I do (someday, I won't either). I also understand I'm missing out on angling opportunities by not drifting. I go West to take it all in and don't have a desire to travel 900 miles to combat fish. At the end of the day, there's a cold Big Sky Summer Honey in the cooler somewhere.

Dave