Trip Report - N Platte Float

comeonavs

Reaction score
A couple things before I start, I rarely write trip reports anymore because well, most outings are just average. Secondly there are no trout in Wyoming no matter what I say below.

My wife got me a guided trip with the guys at Wyoming Fly Fishing Service so we went up to Casper Friday night. Guide picked us up at the hotel the next morning. Getting ready to go he says you have anything to throw in the boat and I said yeah a couple streamer rods if thats ok, well he lit up with a big ole grin and said you want to throw meat huh, yes I do, bobber fishing gets boring. His smile was cool, knew we were on to something good.

Started basically in downtown Casper and we nymphed the first few runs and caught 4 or 5 healthy bows each. After an hour he says alright lets throw meat some great stretches are coming up. So the first hour I was skunked but my buddy in the front of the boat managed to land 5 nice bows on a streamer. Finally a sweet hole was coming and my buddy mis timed his cast and missed the hole so I got to fire one in there and wham, big ole fat bow hammered it. We keep going and my buddy catches a few more healthy fish and I catch one or two.

Here comes a nymph run so we hit it three times and each pulled some good fish out. Well back to streamers we go, so funny my friend wasn't comfortable throwing an articulated streamer from the front of the boat to the right so he was water loading it over his left shoulder. So he water loads one and on the forward cast about dislocated his arm since a 18" fatty decided his dead drift streamer looked good. While he's farting around with that I stuck another one.

We pull over and have lunch and while eating some clouds came over and the guide laughs and says well it should get real hot on streamers. Off we go and I kid you not the next 90 minutes was pounding the banks and pulling big fish in every third of fourth cast, we even doubled up on streamers.

All in all a great day, it was supposed to be windy as hell but we fished a protected stretch and had limited wind issues. We each pulled a couple dozen in on streamers and a dozen more on bobber rigs it was insane. It was also great using streamers because the smallest fish we pulled in to the boat was about 16" Bow, it was just fish after fish all between 17-21" range. Such a great day its always fun to go but usually three or four hours of bobber fishing from a drift boat is good but I start to get bored.

For the record I was using my 7wt ONE and my buddy was using my 6WT ONE, man those are great streamer rods with that Rio Sink tip you can hammer the banks.

Jaybo if you read this, I was tossing a articulated dirty hippy. Guide had never seen an articulated version of it. He tied in on cast it a few times jerking it through the water and says "yeah that will work just fine" and boy did it.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian
Pictures or not, that sure sounded like an awesome day on the North Platte, congrats.
I also have a Sage One 7 wt for streamers and I have to agree with you, that is one sweet rod.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Nice work,

Which guide did you go with? WFF has a handful of guides that are really respectful and nice to other boaters. Props to them.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Nice work,

Which guide did you go with? WFF has a handful of guides that are really respectful and nice to other boaters. Props to them.
We were supposed to go with Josh, I've went with him before but I guess he is out with an injury so we got to go with Ryan who owns the shop, it was a blast he is a fun guy

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
We were supposed to go with Josh, I've went with him before but I guess he is out with an injury so we got to go with Ryan who owns the shop, it was a blast he is a fun guy

Very nice! Ryan is a good guy.