who has floated the Smith in April?

gutterpunk

Reaction score
It's not a great time but more likely to get a permit. I expect cold and some snow.

Have you done it?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have never floated it or applied for a permit, but just curious why you think it would be more likely to obtain a permit by going early in April?

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I have floated it at the very end of April and the weather was actually very nice. No snow but brisk at night which is fine with me as the rattle snakes stay put in their dens. You could not pay me to float the Smith in the summer at least the last days float before the take out where the rattlers are just to numerous for my liking. I have a good friend that floats it at the end of April every year and they have done it for at least the past 20 years or so. It is a very easy float as floats go. My adrenaline junkie nephew thought it was boring but had fun even without an adrenaline rush. Seems like more often than not they shut the river down around the end of June when the water gets to low and warm.
Getting your permit is not that hard if you send your request in at the beginning of January. Like the first or second of the month. Have fun and take your long johns.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I have never floated it or applied for a permit, but just curious why you think it would be more likely to obtain a permit by going early in April?
Most people want float the river when it is warm out and or after kids are out of school for the summer. Thus there is more pressure on the June, July, and August time slots.

Kyo

Reaction score
You can also apply online see link below
in case you missed that part.

Never floated it but it's on the bucket list.
Always thought you didn't need a permit in
April but I stand corrected. Looks like season
starts (if float-able in March).

I know people who have floated it in April
and the word is be prepared for snow.
Then again, it could be pleasant the next day.

They've also enacted a bear fence policy and
bear proof cooler restrictions. You'll have to read
the fine print.

(If link doesn't appear google Smith River Permits)

Sorry been off list, little rusty here . . . -k-

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: River Recreation Permits

400 Bad Request

400 Bad Request

Last edited:

802flyfish

Reaction score
Results are posted March 1st. So as long as you submit an application before the deadline your fine, just luck of the draw. I believe 9 slots are available each day. Prime days in June and July could have up to 500 people applying for the same day. People have gone years without ever getting a permit. Obviously, if you put in for days in April & May you’ll have a better chance.. it’s possible that it snows a foot overnight, so be prepared...

jschaffer

Reaction score
I haven't floated it in April, but know folks who have. More wet fly fishing and the weather can be unpredictable. But I agree with others, I would take that over the low water and snakes that come with the summer months.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I got an April 6th permit this year! I have 48 hours before the launch to cancel with out any repercussions. Just going to keep an eye on the weather and flows.

mtbusman

Reaction score
Saw some photos in the Great Falls paper of a lot of ice on the Smith this past week. From the looks of it, it isn't a great time to be on the Smith.
We are having an unusually long winter this year. We're still snow covered as I write this. We broke a record this year for continuous days of snow cover, beginning in December -- but our first big storm was back in October. It's supposed to hit the 50 on Tuesday and 48 on Wednesday. Let's hope it does. It's 20' right now. I, too, hope that 802 is alright. Back in January, I could not have predicted the kind of April we are having.