Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  95
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: San Juan River, January 2018

Looks like it was a great trip!!! And those are fine pics of dandy fish! Well done!

Just noticed that McNerney lives in Pinedale. I spent a night there in 1998 on my first vacation out West. I had camped at Flaming Gorge for a night and was headed for Tetons when a storm came through the end of May and dumped snow. I'm a flatlander, and was in a rental car, so I wimped out and spent the night in Pinedale until the storm passed, then journeyed on. I really liked my visit to the Museum of the Mountain Man. It was Michener's book 'Centennial' that inspired me to want to move to the Rockies. I'm retiring in 2-3 years and intend to move out there. Originally planned to move to Montana, but now also (somewhat) considering Idaho, Wyoming, or maybe Utah. Assuming I make it out there this year, I wanna spend a couple days in Dillon and Salmon and look them over.

I assume since there are no trout in Wyoming, it's prolly also devoid of elk and mule deer, as well.

2. Likes myt1, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: San Juan River, January 2018

I do know that streamers were working while we were there, scoutm caught a few on streamers. We bumped into a guy that guided from Bozeman, MT, he was throwing a brown gold beaded streamer and said he was getting enough action to stay interested, but he was covering a lot of river.
    Larry

4. Likes mka, karstopo, okflyfisher liked this post
  5. Default Re: San Juan River, January 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Its well known that there are no trout in Wyoming!
    Huh?

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: San Juan River, January 2018

Larry,
    Great report! Glad you had a fun trip! Makes me wish we should have took the chance and gave the San Juan a try before heading back home. Thanks again for the report and photos!!

Donny

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  9. Default Re: San Juan River, January 2018

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I'd be the guy out there throwing woolly buggers or bucktail streamers and wondering why I wasn't getting any fish when everyone else around me was.
    I feel your pain David.

10. Likes karstopo, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by del gue View Post
    Looks like it was a great trip!!! And those are fine pics of dandy fish! Well done!

Just noticed that McNerney lives in Pinedale. I spent a night there in 1998 on my first vacation out West. I had camped at Flaming Gorge for a night and was headed for Tetons when a storm came through the end of May and dumped snow. I'm a flatlander, and was in a rental car, so I wimped out and spent the night in Pinedale until the storm passed, then journeyed on. I really liked my visit to the Museum of the Mountain Man. It was Michener's book 'Centennial' that inspired me to want to move to the Rockies. I'm retiring in 2-3 years and intend to move out there. Originally planned to move to Montana, but now also (somewhat) considering Idaho, Wyoming, or maybe Utah. Assuming I make it out there this year, I wanna spend a couple days in Dillon and Salmon and look them over.

I assume since there are no trout in Wyoming, it's prolly also devoid of elk and mule deer, as well.
    Del: I agree this part of the Rockies is a gorgeous place to live and fish. I have only lived on this side of Wyoming for six years and have hardly scratched all the water available to explore. Good luck with your upcoming retirement. I like your idea, spend some time looking around ID, WY, MT and I would also look at CO and UT, they all have their good/bad points.
    Larry

12. Likes okflyfisher liked this post
    Blog Entries

Larry,

It looks like a great trip. I have yet to fish the Juan.... I know many fishers I talk to each season are making their way to there. Maybe someday soon I will get to check the fishing out for myself. But until then, keep posting great pics and trip reports so I/we can live vicariously through your trips... Thanks for sharing.

14. Likes mcnerney, okflyfisher liked this post

One of my favorite rivers to fish! I remember fishing it before 9/11 when we would fish almost right to the base of the dam...

Haven't been in a few years, need to plan a trip back. Can't beat Abe's motel :-)

16. Likes mcnerney, okflyfisher liked this post

From the NMSP director...

"Thank you for contacting New Mexico State Parks regarding our plans for Navajo Lake State Park. We are in the process of developing a new camping area at the park along the San Juan River. It is a property we own near the Crusher Hole Day Use Area. Our plan is to develop a campground for RVs and tents that will have vault toilets, but no electricity or water, as those utilities are not currently available at that location. The RV sites will be drive through and the tent sites will be walk in. We are also working on a wildlife habitat restoration plan for the area to we can increase the diversity and abundance of vegetation on the site. We expect the campground to be open in early 2020. Please feel free to contact us if you would like any additional information."

FWIW...

18. Likes el jefe, jeepster II, mka, mcnerney liked this post

If they are building the campground where I think it might be, that will be a very nice location. Funny, the biologist reporting on the project at our trout meeting didn't mention a campground...but, he did say how much people in the department hated vault toilets.
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

20. Likes lacanadio, mcnerney liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123