Montana/ Wyoming/ idaho trip ideas June 30th- July 4th

802flyfish

Reaction score
A friend & I were able to take off June 30th- July 4th of this year. Were based out of Bozeman, MT and were planning on fishing/floating (raft) for 5 days. I was hoping to fish some new rivers outside the Bozeman area. I have thought about floating several rivers during that time period, like the Missouri, Bitterroot, Rock Creek, Clark Fork, Blackfoot. I realize that run off will most likely be my biggest concern, but can anyone recommend any/ combination of these rivers based on my time frame? I've also thought about doing something similar in Idaho and Wyoming. Were open to any ideas!

chechem

Reaction score
Very iffy week you've chosen. Some of the best regions may be high water then, but could clear just in time for you. You will need to plan the drift trip, but have a backup contingency.

0bie

Reaction score
You may look at tailwater systems like the Missouri or the Green River in Utah to mitigate the chances of being blown out due to runoff. SNOTEL snowpack is looking pretty poor for much of the intermountain west, particularly on the Pacific side of the Continental Divide, making it tough forecasting conditions this far out. Best bets, guessing from the map, would be in northern Wyoming and the upper Missouri River watershed in Montana.

Good luck!

dean_mt

Reaction score
The window to float Rock Creek is small and I believe it closes June 30. When it is open you need to be a very competent oarsman to navigate a fisherman.

The other rivers over here that you list are all possible to put together over a few of days if you stay in Missoula. And by that time you don't really have to worry about blown out water. The rivers should still be up in the end of run-off, but not unfishable.

The Missouri is all by itself. It's a long day to fish it out of Missoula, completely doable but a very long day.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I've been keeping an eye on the Snotel.. At this point, I'm going try and plan two different trips, one in/around Missoula and one in Northern Wyoming. I'll finalize one or the other when I can get a better feel for how the water levels are.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I've floated the Yellowstone and Madison more times then I can count so I'm really looking forward to floating new water.

dmadsen

Reaction score
I've floated the Yellowstone and Madison more times then I can count so I'm really looking forward to floating new water.
The Missouri is in a class by itself, IMO. I live in Dillon and can't get there enough! The Beaverhead is an excellent tailwater that would be unaffected by runoff above the Grasshopper, probably below also by that week (they'll be pulling irrigation water from the Grasshopper by then). Both are 2 hours from Bozeman.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Contrary to what McNerney may say, the fishing is much better in Wyoming. Montana has had to much snow and the coming spring thaw will flush all the trout to Wyoming. :)

Dave

802flyfish

Reaction score
Will camp and float if we do the South Fork of the snake river. Most likely will just do a long day float and camp near by. I was able to float the Ruby a few months ago in the fall, didn’t have much luck. I would like to float the Bearhead and the Ruby again.