October streamers on the Madison

dharkin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My buddy and I are planning another week long trip for this October (5-13). We are going back to fish the Big Hole River again and staying in Melrose. Although we love fishing the Big Hole, we have decided that we should take a day trip (or 2) and try chucking streamers on the Madison. We prefer DIY and it will be all wade fishing. Learning new places to fish is very difficult when you’re 1500 miles away and no local knowledge. Guides are always great but we don’t find the experience nearly as enjoyable or rewarding as wade fishing on our own and the expense for the Madison trips are rather high.
Our first trip to the Big Hole River in 2013 was fantastic!!!!!!!! due in large part to a fellow forum member, Black Bugger.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...arks-big-hole-trip.html?highlight=Lewis+Harks

He sent me a PM three days before we arrived and I still have it. I PRINTED IT! He gave directions to areas that we never would have known about or even known that we were allowed to drive to. He didn’t tell us exactly where to go and what to use but he did open up about 4-5 miles of river to us that we wouldn’t have been able to find with Google. In time, you learn where to go and what to use and when to use it but nobody can do that from across the country with only a week of time available. Without his generosity and willingness to share information, I doubt very much that we would have gone back the next year and the next year. This will be our 4th trip to the Big Hole River valley and every trip just gets better. Dean_Mt joins us each year for a few days as well and hope to see him again this year.

According to google maps, the Madison is about a 2.5 hour drive from Melrose, easy day trip for sure. However, where do we go? Even better question, where do we NOT go? Any information you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. I have several months to read up on the area but local knowledge and experience is king. Please share what you can or nudge me along the best you can.

Thanks,
Dan

planettrout

Reaction score
This is an overview of the Madison River in the Fall:

Fall Run Browns On The Madison River | Montana Angler

...and this goes into greater detail on the entire river:

Fly Fishing the Madison River in Southern Montana : Information, Page 1

This goes in information on fishing the Madison inside Yellowstone National Park:

Madison River Fly Fishing Yellowstone National Park | Montana Angler

This is the area between Hegben and Quake lakes down as "between the lakes". It is a favorite destination for Fall run up Browns towards Hebgen Lake from Quake Lake:

It is a short stretch of water...where I spent a couple of days with my son in mid- September of this past year...

Near the parking lot above Quake Lake...

My son Michael working a streamer on one of the few days there was sunshine...

This is Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn on the Madison above $3.00 Bridge. Stop here for information and flies:

Fishing - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

This is Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. Stop here for Streamers and big soft hackle patterns that work for Fall run Browns in a majority of the Madison from Ennis to YNP. They have the license one must carry inside the Park. Get on their mailing list for fishing reports:

Blue Ribbon Flies

Come prepared for nasty weather. It can get real cold and white in a heartbeat:

The Madison in the Park...in September...

Most of the larger Browns we took on this trip...took #20 Midges...

Like this...

PT/TB

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey PT,

Thanks for all of the info. The weather can sneak up on a guy for sure but really surprised by the amount of snow that you got. I also hope that we don't have to resort to midges but time will tell.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey PT,

Thanks for all of the info. The weather can sneak up on a guy for sure but really surprised by the amount of snow that you got. I also hope that we don't have to resort to midges but time will tell.
Really, you don't want to run a #20 brassie and blood worm combo under a wool indicator? That'll be the day!!

dharkin

Reaction score
My rod of choice for Montana has been a 9' 5wt Sage TCX. Is that enough rod for the Madison or should I pick up a 6wt for the streamers?

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
If you want to fish for fall-run browns, you need a 9-10' 6-7wt. I suggest a ten-footer for better line management at range, or maybe even a switch rod if you're dead set on the Madison over the smaller options that are often far better and are always less crowded. (That is a hint.)

You will catch 3X the fish on nymphs rather than streamers. Those fish get pounded so they tend to hunker on the bottom. When I am hunting browns I tend to finish with a streamer right at sunset in a couple specific spots where I can usually finish with a couple that way.

dharkin

Reaction score
Hi Longs for Cutts,

I spoke with a few friends and have decided to go with a 7 Wt and now I get to start the decision process. That should be easy right? Good thing I have a shop close enough to me so I can try a couple. I figured that I can also use the 7Wt in the salt for some of my smaller rivers. I guess you can never have too many rods.

I have been using Google Earth and looking at some "smaller" places and have a few that I want to check out. Unfortunately, this years Madison trip will only be a 1 day wade experience but I think we will do an entire week in the area next year. Google earth can only do so much and exploring rather than fishing will take more than one day. We'll have to do our research, pick our location(s) for the day, and give it a go.

englishsetter

Reaction score
I am out in the area between Ashton,Id. and Reynolds Pass every june and october. If you only have one day in the area,and are dead set on the Madison, you will be there at a great time to be between the lakes. We had two incredible days there this past year the second week of october. Although we did catch some very nice fish early in the mornings on streamers(hint:real early) the majority of our big fish were caught on small,sparse nymphs.

dharkin

Reaction score
Well, I just picked up a G. Loomis NRX #7 for the trip, so whether I start real early or stay until dark, I'm throwing streamers. I'm going to make the fish play by my rules. If they don't want to play, I'll take my flies and go home!;)

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey John,

Your brother wants to come with us but he doesn't really like nymph fishing. He sent me this self filmed video. I can do step six real easy

YouTube

dean_mt

Reaction score
I haven't seen that one in a while -- Set that hook!!

I forgot that you associate me with Hank. Not sure how to take that...

dharkin

Reaction score
Less than 24 hours from now, my buddy and I will be on our flight to Montana. Weather is looking pretty cold and wet so it should be interesting.