Woming Fishing Trip

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I took a couple days off work to take advantage of the indian summer wx we are experiencing and got in some trout fishing on waters I haven't fished before. We hit the Wind River for about 45 minutes, on the first cast I hooked into a very nice trout but lost him in the rapids, about 20 minutes later I hooked into another fiesty rainbow that came straight out of the water and landed on some rocks at my feet, he fell back in the water and as I tried to put some pressure back on, he did an LDR, when I pulled my rig in I found that the 3x tippet had broken. Argh! On the return trip I have almost the same situation happen, on about the third cast (sight fishing to a 2 ft trout), he grabs my rig and downstream he goes and again I lose my rig, so I retie with 2x and I have two more hook ups but they both do an LDR on me, so no luck for me on the Wind River, beautiful place to fish though. Here are some random photos from the trip:

Larry

imxer

Reaction score
Wart Hog :)

Excellent pix from an area you don't hear about all that often.

How is the fishing in the Big Horn north of Thermopolis? Have a heard a few comments pro & con. Can't blame Red Cloud for his battles to keep his hunting ground.

Thanks again for the report.

Baker two bits;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wart Hog :)

Excellent pix from an area you don't hear about all that often.

How is the fishing in the Big Horn north of Thermopolis? Have a heard a few comments pro & con. Can't blame Red Cloud for his battles to keep his hunting ground.

Thanks again for the report.

Baker two bits;)
Thanks! I have not fished the Big Horn at all. If I were to fish the Bighorn it would be up by Ft Smith, that is where the legendary fishing takes place. I've been meaning to get up there all summer, but it is a 6 hour drive from my place and I just seem to get side tracked with all the other good fishing that is much closer. Check out this thread posted by Eric from Bighorn Flies on a trip he made up there this last May: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/13883-may-17th-bighorn.html

Larry

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Thanks for the report and pictures, looks like you got life by the tail Larry.:)

Pocono

Reaction score
Larry,

You're holding my favorite fish in your first pic; beautiful Brookie! We don't catch anything even close to that size out here in the East. I've been temped a couple of time to go up to Labrador to give it a try, but I haven't made it yet.

Great pics, all around! Looks like you had a memorable trip and landed some fine fish. Thanks for sharing.

Pocono

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Larry, you rock, buddy! Glad to see you're getting on the water. Nice pics and fishies. Keep 'em coming.

Kelly.

Flywgn

Reaction score
Nice fish, Larry, especially that beautiful brook trout. Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Allen R

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice fish, Larry, especially that beautiful brook trout. Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Allen R
Allen: Thanks, I'm going back up there next year looking to land much larger fish but I will be using a better rig to land the really big fish they have up there. I found that once hooked they want to dive into the heavy weeds so you can't go light on the tippet and expect the fish to stay on the line.

Larry

Flywgn

Reaction score
Bigger rig for bigger fish. Now that's a nice problem to have to solve.

I enjoy seeing the photos, yours and those of others on this forum. It's rare that I fish with someone else. I'm not asocial, it's just that I can get on the water at the drop of a hat, so when things look right I just go. Bottom line is that I have few photos of my own fish. I tried taking along a little PandS camera, but found it difficult to get a fish in position to 'pose'.

Allen R

P.S. I 'repaired' my reply to you on the thread re: my day on Silver Ck and the Big Wood. I misread your route. We are close, however, to hwy 20. Just a bit south.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bigger rig for bigger fish. Now that's a nice problem to have to solve.

I enjoy seeing the photos, yours and those of others on this forum. It's rare that I fish with someone else. I'm not asocial, it's just that I can get on the water at the drop of a hat, so when things look right I just go. Bottom line is that I have few photos of my own fish. I tried taking along a little PandS camera, but found it difficult to get a fish in position to 'pose'.

Allen R

P.S. I 'repaired' my reply to you on the thread re: my day on Silver Ck and the Big Wood. I misread your route. We are close, however, to hwy 20. Just a bit south.
Allen: When by myself which like you is alot, I pick the fish up with one hand and shot the photo with the other. If you have the camera all ready to go it only takes 3-4 seconds and the fish is back in the water. The issue I was having on this trip is that those big fish were too big around to pick up with one hand so I just shot a couple photos with the fish in the net, not the best but it will do. When I caught the big Brookie I had another person on board the boat so it made it easy.

Larry

imxer

Reaction score
MT

I love the fishing on the bighorn just north of thermopolis: sauger, catfish, walleye, and carp.

The bighorn river has 50 miles of warm water fishing from worland to yellowtail reservoir.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the tip, can't get much better than that. IMXER