South Central MT Snow Pack

Kyo

Reaction score
We've had a pretty decent winter again here in Billings
which usually doesn't get that much snow. Believe we're high 60s
on the inch count. Snow packs feeding the Big Horn from Wyoming and the Yellowstone River basins are at or well above average.

Big Horn River at Ft. Smith,MT has increased flows to around 4500.

Got more snow coming now followed by the usual sub zero temps again, but it is winter and I'm okay with that, for now . . . or as long as my car starts:cool:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, all winter long all the big storms have been tracking across the northern part of the U.S., directly across Montana. Its going to be a really good fishing season for Montana.
Here is the current snow pack for Montana:
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/mt_swepctnormal_update.pdf

Wyoming is hanging in there with just above an average snow pack, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will get some big storms before the season ends.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I don't know what you are talking about? There are more trout in your Wyoming drainage ditches than all of Montana!

Dave

littledavid123

Reaction score
Dave, I think you have been smoking the whacky weed again, you should know there are no trout in Wyoming. LOL!
Larry, instead of all this back and forth bickering, why not make a peace truce and agree to send everyone to Colorado? Where else can you fly fish and pick up some meth without ever leaving the river! :tea:

Dave

dean_mt

Reaction score
NW Montana got dumped on this weekend. It snowed harder - for about 30 minutes - on Friday evening than I've been in for a long time. It was like a Michigan lake effect blizzard for a brief period. I happened to be driving and was nearly stopped in a full on white out. I had to turn off my headlights, use the fog lamps, and force myself to steer toward the shoulder reflectors. Insane!

Anyway, good snow packs for sure. Like last winter, we were all looking forward to a great summer. Reality is we just won't know until August 1, if we get to then without major heat and early fires, we'll be in good shape. There is no doubt that we're going to have a good bit of fishing for sure though.