Big Horn at Ft. Smith

Kyo

Reaction score
Here's what the Billings Gazette (thank you) reported two days ago. Figure it was probably written earlier in the week. With thanks to Big Horn Trout Shop . . . I would imagine the next release will color the water a little more. -k-

Bighorn River — It is fishing well. Sowbugs, Scuds, Baetis nymph patterns, Midge Pupa, and aquatic worms are good choices. There are some midges around if the wind stays down. Trout are also taking Smoke Jumpers, Sipper Midges, and Parachute Adams. Streamer fishing is fair. Throw full sinking lines in the deeper water. A light fly/dark fly combination (a two-fly rig) is recommended. — Bighorn Trout Shop, Fort Smith.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Has anyone fished the Bighorn recently? My girlfriend and I were thinking about making the trip over from Bozeman for the weekend. Staying in town Sat so we can get fish Sat & Sunday? It's 4 hour drive for us so I wanted to make sure it would be worth the trip..

Kyo

Reaction score
The weather is supposed to clear by Friday night but we're expecting 4.8" of snow between now and then. Been raining all day here. Hopefully it will melt like the last storm. Forecast is for high 50s Saturday and 60 Sunday and eventually 70 by Monday. Classic spring in Montana. There's a fishing report in the Outdoors/Nature section of today's Billings Gazette (Thursday) similar to what I posted last week. Google and go. If my fishing partner wasn't so tied up with doing people's taxes, I'd be going. That reminds me, I better get my taxes going . . . Whoops :bounce::bounce::bounce:

802flyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Will probably wait till Friday evening to make the decision. Skwala hatch on the Bitteroot is temping..

mcbauer1961

Reaction score
Also fished there last week from the 9th to the 13th, Agree with wyobowhunter21. Did really good on streamers on the bad weather days.

mcbauer1961

Reaction score
Never Know what you find on the horn these days, Paddlefish, Northerns, and now a first for me. Did not actually catch it, it was belly up half alive in the river. Was told a lot of fish are getting washed down from the lake. Also shiners are still getting washed into the river, Probably why the streamer bite was good on anything white.

IMG955602.jpg