Wyoming Cutthroat Challenge

802flyfish

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have have June 29th-July 4th off. We’re planing on doing an overnight trip below flaming Gorge. I was hoping to complete the Wyoming Cutthroat Challenge between the trip down and the trip back . Leaving from my Home in Big Sky,MT the standard route brings me though West Yellowstone~Jackson~ Rock Spring.

With a little tweaking I can stop somewhere in the YNP and get the Yellowstone Cutthroat off the list. From there I can proceed down to Jackson and cross off the Snake River Cutthroat . Between Pinedale and Rock Springs gives me a chance at a Colorado Cutthroat. The way back I can stop through the South West corner and knock out the Boneville. We will be towing our 13’ raft for the duration of the trip. Anyone have ideas or suggestions for rivers to float along the way ?

Last edited:

0bie

Reaction score
The lower Shoshone (below Buffalo Bill Reservoir) has Yellowstone cutts as well as stocked Bonnevilles. I can't remember if the Bighorn Tailwater (Wind River) at Thermopolis has Yellowstone or Snake River cutthroat, or both, but that may be worth looking into as well.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Just remember, each species you catch and record, has to be in its native drainage. When I did mine I had a Snake River cutt that I caught below Fontenelle and one in Fontenelle, neither counted. If I remember correctly, my Yellowstone Cutt was caught in the Bighorn at Thermopolis.

Last edited:

lightline

Reaction score
The only WY native range for the Bonneville is the upper Bear River drainage. Smith's Fork and Thomas Fork, Near Cokeville, WY. You can go through Star Valley from Jackson and reach these waters to get your Bonneville. Or, you can circle around from Kemerrer after you fish the Green drainage on the other side for the Colorado. Or, what I would do depending on your schedule, is make it a circle and hit one on your way to the Green, and the other on the way home. You can pass through Jackson both ways.

On the Green below the dam, be sure to have some yellow sallies for early July. Fish can get on 'em pretty good. Float the upper green above Fontenelle. Lots of stretches between there and the headwaters. PM Larry! It will depend on runoff, but higher up, maybe above Warren Bridge, might clear sooner. Below Fontenelle is good, but you'll already have plenty of "company" below the Gorge.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Float below Jackson lake on the Snake river (Snake River Cutthroat)

New Fork River in Pinedale looks promising. (Colorado Cutthroat)

Smiths Fork river, Salt Creek or Hobble creek on the way for the Bonneville looks doable.

dryfly307

Reaction score
Float below Jackson lake on the Snake river (Snake River Cutthroat)

New Fork River in Pinedale looks promising. (Colorado Cutthroat)

Smiths Fork river, Salt Creek or Hobble creek on the way for the Bonneville looks doable.
New Fork is lots of browns and rainbows. You can catch a cutthroat in there, but often times they’ll be SR or hybrid cutts.

cpiercem

Reaction score
You might check with G&F dept or even Nat Forest people in Pinedale about the Colorado Cutt population in the creeks in that area. I know that there are several creeks that come off of the Wyoming Range that have some Colorados. LaBarge is one, but the roads to it can be bad.
Good Luck and have fun!

dryfly307

Reaction score
I agree with what’s mentioned above about Labarge, but it seems to me like after our big fire a few summers ago, that stream just doesn’t have many fish. Worth a shot though. If you want some more in depth info about a CRC around Sublette County, you could send me a PM.

406Life

Reaction score
I completed my Slam last year. I did all of mine with a 3 wt or 2wt, skinny water stuff. So, I can't help much with the boat. The Triple Divide Basin will get you into 3/4 of the slam within a couple hours of each other. You can pull the boat in through there, but won't be able to launch. You will probably also be a bit early for the higher elevation stuff, which is what I went through at the end of July. If you don't care about size, you won't have any issue completing the slam. Personally, I was looking for good representative of each subspecies, not just little 4 inchers with parr marks. PM me if you want some more details on the slam.

If you are doing that or the UT Cutthroat Slam, you should also do the paperwork for the IFFF CuttCatch: here.