RMNP hiking

thealaskan

Reaction score
Hey guys, as always im looking forward to hiking and fishing season approaching. I just did a rafting run on the Arkansas river (no fishing, just barely making it through zoom flume and suckhole rapids in my 14 footer), and I'm wondering how early this season I can do some subalpine lakes. RMNP trail reports aren't regular yet, but I'm thinking mid june instead of early July considering the low snowpack.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Two other sources of visual information that can sometimes help are satellite pictures and webcams. Both can give you a rough idea of the snow levels. They obviously are not fool proof, but can help in route planning.

Just looking at the webcams and then comparing what you can see to elevations and aspect on Google Earth can give you an educated guess on how much of the high country snow and ice are left.

Here is a site for some RMNP webcams. https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm I also have some sites for satellite pictures, but the main one I use is temporarily down. It is on the "Active Fire Map" page under "Modis images". At https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/afm/ usually :eek:

Good luck

thealaskan

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I am definitely on top of the webcams - satellites is a great call. I'll post some photos when I get out... although I can't guarantee I'll specify which lakes I hit up :)

thealaskan

Reaction score
Got on the trail to lawn lake at 4 am, bumper with the trailhead.

Cruised along the roaring river most of the way, which is great because the view really start when the light is coming up.

6 miles later I was at lawn lake around 6:30. Fished until 11 am and caught several greenbacks. My favorite fish.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

thealaskan

Reaction score
Not in rmnp but I knocked out Skyscraper Reservoir yesterday. Hard hike at times, but caught a few nice cutthroat. On the trail at about 4:30 am..

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Those views and gorgeous fish sure make the rigorous hiking worth the effort, congrats!
Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

thealaskan

Reaction score
Went up to lion lake #1 yesterday. Fishing was not good, and the hike was tough, but at least the views were ridiculous.

sab_0010

Reaction score
I like this thread. It looks like you have gotten out there once for the last three months. Any plans for next month in the works?

thealaskan

Reaction score
I've got two really young kids plus a rafting hobby so once per month is my limit...

But yes, I plan on finally checking out ypsilon lake in late September.

2019 I plan on doing bob and Betty lakes, an ambitious trip to rawah wilderness, and somewhere in the gore range, plus the annual lawn lake hike.

thealaskan

Reaction score
It's worth adding that I didn't go in September although I had an absolute spectacular Sunday with the wife's blessing to go.

I have probably hiked about 150-200 miles in rmnp solo but a couple experiences this summer has made me feel like I shouldnt.

First this summer was the hike to lawn lake. Hiking solo to catch the early risers I spooked some sort of animal in the dark. I heard a large snap sound to trail left I kept moving as normal but I looked back with my headlamp and saw a couple glowing eyes looking back at me. I had my bear spray out for the next mile.

For what it's worth I hike with music blaring out of a speaker to let anything know I'm coming.

The second occurance came on the hike to lion lake where I found rather glistening bear scat .1 mile into the trail in the dark at 430

I have considered buying a 44 but still. Not comforting enough for me.

I'm rather addicted to my early hikes with early risers and the views that come with it. Its unreal to be at a glass lake at 11000 by myself and realize that no one else out of the millions in the front range would do the same. It's an amazing experience.

Next year I hope to connect with like minded hiker/anglers willing to meet at a trailhead at 4 am to make a 10+ mile round trip hike. Doing it solo isn't worth it to me... I have a wife and two daughters (2.5 and .5 years old) who dont need yet another headline about missing hiker.

If anyone is willing, please message me and we can catch some smaller size trout who come with big intrinsic rewards.

I'm experienced in the outdoors and am willing to coach someone on how to prepare.

Thanks for everyone who followed my mini blog this year. :)

cpiercem

Reaction score
I can't help with the hiking partner, but I will recommend the Garmin "InReach" satellite gps communicator. It is great to check in with family or to get help in a bad situation.

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
I do the same when I'm home in the park. Though during the summer there is usually someone on the trail. Those little hair raising, out of the corner of the eye surprises can be spooky but also makes the trek time fly by. I'm getting older so my biggest fear is me tripping over something. The Inreach or spot is not a bad idea.
It's sad that another hiker is missing on Longs.