Firehole Trip Report

Reaction score
My wife and I spent part of last week fishing the Firehole and camping at Madison Campground in the Park. First, I don’t know what was going on last Wednesday, but West Yellowstone was akin to Minneapolis in terms of traffic. Streets, intersections and traffic lights were all jammed with traffic trying to enter the park. Madison campground is about 15 miles from downtown West Yellowstone. It took us 90 minutes to get there. Most of the time we were at a standstill, or moving a few feet at a time in bumper to bumper traffic. Once we reached the river however, we didn’t find it crowded at all. The crowds must have been headed to Old Faithfull.

Fishing was difficult because of the constant 20-25 mph winds the first two days and steady rain the 3rd day. Our best day was 6 fish, rainbows & browns (13” the biggest) and our slowest day was 3. We prefer to fish drys & had the most success with the White Miller X-Caddis and PMD Sparkle Dunn’s. The river I thought was in good shape considering how high rivers like the Gallatin and Yellowstone are. The park’s new rigs banning felt makes wading on some of the flat rocks in the river treacherous so care is required. Even with the lousy weather, fishing dry flies to (occasional) rising rainbows and brown just a stones throw from Old Faithfull is a nice way to spend a few days. I like Madison campground OK. my wife thinks it’ too crowded. We spent most of our time fishing the Fountin Flats Drive stretch of river (and beyond).We did not fish the canyon stretch but would like to some time.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The summer traffic into the park from West Yellowstone can get pretty crowded. I saw a report from the Yellowstone Fly Fishing Blog last year where the wait from downtown to the front gate of the park was 1 hr 20 min at around 10:30 am, best to get in very early and forgo the crowds.

del gue

Reaction score
Ref the Madison Campground, that is where I always stay when I go to Yellowstone. I usually go to Glacier and Yellowstone the first 2 weeks in Sept, after people head home to get their hobbits in school. This year I'll be around Yellowstone the last 2 week of August in order to attend a flyfishing conclave for 3 days in Livingston. When I was in the campground last year I was amazed at how quiet it is in there during the day when everybody is out sightseeing. Year before last campfires were banned when I arrived due to fire issues but the restriction was lifted after I was there a few days. Then my last day there it snowed. Last year on my last day at Yellowstone I took a day trip to the Tetons and barely made it back through the South Entrance before they closed and evacuated it due to a large fire. Year before last the lady at the office when I checked in said a sow griz and cubs had walked around part of the perimeter of the campground. I asked her where, and she said where my site would be!

One thing that's nice about the Madison is all the wildlife right there. There is usually an elk herd with a large herd bull that stays in the fields just west of the campground. And a couple years ago I had just gotten up and was getting dressed when the coyotes started a serenade down by the river. Sometimes the elk will meander through the campground. I really enjoy the Madison campground, and usually head for the Running Bear pancake house in W Yellowstone for breakfast every morning. After a cold night hot coffee and pancakes make for a great start to the day.