Delta, Co or Montrose, Co to retire?

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Going to retire in 2-3 years so a job is a none factor. Narrowed it down to Delta area or Montrose area. Delta COL is cheaper, Montrose being larger has more amenities. Which would you recommend for fishing or other factors?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Going to retire in 2-3 years so a job is a none factor. Narrowed it down to Delta area or Montrose area. Delta COL is cheaper, Montrose being larger has more amenities. Which would you recommend for fishing or other factors?
Those two cities are fairly close together so either place it wouldn't be that a long of a drive to go fishing. I guess it depends on which place you can get reasonable housing. I would lean toward Montrose for mainly having more amenities like you said. That would be a great area to retire for sure.

el jefe

Reaction score
Which place has the fewest addicts and vagrants? It's getting so bad here, that I just want to get away from all that. Our city is turning into a Third World municipality, and I suspect with Colorado's change in laws that some of its towns are suffering, too.

Knate

Reaction score
Which place has the fewest addicts and vagrants? It's getting so bad here, that I just want to get away from all that. Our city is turning into a Third World municipality, and I suspect with Colorado's change in laws that some of its towns are suffering, too.
It isn't. The addiction issue is meth and it is definitely present in both places, but not necessarily an obvious outward issue. It has nothing to do with any changing of Colorado laws. It was an issue long before legalization.

It is definitely hotter that hell in both of those spots. Not too far away, but on the doorstep of tons of great fishing yet still affordable is Gunnison, CO.

el jefe

Reaction score
It is definitely hotter that hell in both of those spots. Not too far away, but on the doorstep of tons of great fishing yet still affordable is Gunnison, CO.
What about Ridgway? It's a bit cooler, and still close to the services of Montrose.

Knate

Reaction score
What about Ridgway? It's a bit cooler, and still close to the services of Montrose.
Ridgeway is a nice place. It's very small and somewhat undeveloped. Most of the side streets off the main drag are still dirt. Also, that entire part of the state is very conservative, so if that isn't your thing, you might be uncomfortable amongst the ranchers and country folk.

If you want something with a bit more small town charm and ideological diversity, you might consider Paonia or Hotchkiss. Although neither have doorstep gold medal fishing (North Fork of the Gunnison suffers from some mine drainage issues), it is pretty central to some killer rivers. Anthracite Creek is a killer hike-in only stream that has rainbows up to 16" or so with an amazing canyon about 5 miles upstream and only 20 min or so from Paonia. The lower gold medal section or the Gunnison is about 30 minutes away. The Crystal and Roaring Fork Rivers are an hour over McClure Pass (my home waters) with the Fryingpan another 30 min past that, and the East, Upper Gunnison, and Taylor Rivers are an hour or so over Kebler Pass and through Crested Butte. Paonia has great weather too. Very mild.

flyminded

Reaction score
Haha funny I stopped in Paonia for lunch today ..Big B’s, highly recommend it. Got talking with a couple just built a cabin on 30 acres, along the North Fork of the Gunnison. They said the town was starting to see a increase in people from the front range buying up real estate. Did seem like a cool spot, fairly central to some decent fishing. And a pretty straight shot over to Delta and then down to Montrose.

Knate

Reaction score
Haha funny I stopped in Paonia for lunch today ..Big B’s, highly recommend it. Got talking with a couple just built a cabin on 30 acres, along the North Fork of the Gunnison. They said the town was starting to see a increase in people from the front range buying up real estate. Did seem like a cool spot, fairly central to some decent fishing. And a pretty straight shot over to Delta and then down to Montrose.
Yeah, Paonia is starting to blow up a bit. There are lots of people who are movibg there from Carbondale these days. Carbondale is getting really crowded and expensive so many longtime locals are heading there since Paonia is very similar to what Carbondale used to be. Lots and Lots of hippies in that town lol.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I am heading out there this September to do some snooping around and of course some fishing. I do have some friends in Paonia, mention above, that have recently retired there from Parker, Co. I'll be staying with them for a couple of nights. Friends from AKC Retriever Hunt Test/Field Trial days. Greatly looking forward to getting out of the metro area and doing some fishing/exploring to "parts unknown".

Knate

Reaction score
I am heading out there this September to do some snooping around and of course some fishing. I do have some friends in Paonia, mention above, that have recently retired there from Parker, Co. I'll be staying with them for a couple of nights. Friends from AKC Retriever Hunt Test/Field Trial days. Greatly looking forward to getting out of the metro area and doing some fishing/exploring to "parts unknown".
That's awesome. Enjoy!

You should definitely explore Anthracite Creek. It's not a big stream, but no roads run along it. You park near the mouth and hike and fish up into the middle of nowhere

benglish

Reaction score
Montrose. Though Delta is so close that the HS kids occasionally still make the drive to vandalize the other's school on homecoming. From Montrose you have The Blsck Canyon, East Portal, the Gunny, Uncompagre River, Taylor River and tribs are all a small or Medium drive. Lake fork is pretty close and the Lake City area is simply spectacular for any outdoors man. Montrose is quite a bit bigger and, for now, still moderatly reasonaby priced.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to the Montrose/Delta area. Montrose is the better fit, Ridgway housing is too high for my budget.

What about Cortez? I haven't been there but housing is affordable for me. How central to fishing is it?

midge1

Reaction score
Not to be a buzzkill but in 2-3 years a lot can change, with every circumstance.