An awesome week in the Rockies

zjory

Reaction score
Spent a week all over the Fryingpan valley fishing the main stem, lots of tribs and a couple lakes.

The river itself was about a month ahead of schedule for dry fly fishing due to the heat and low flows. Made for superb fishing but worried to see what it’s like in September. Tan Chubby was the fly of the week on the Pan.

Also spent some time exploring good brookie water up high with the wife. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel up there this time of year. First time I got the wife to fish and she wanted to go back the next day:)

Hiked to a good brookie lake with the family. Had very good luck catching little fish on Para Adams with the kids and caught a very nice fish stripping a mini muddler (see the meal hanging out the side of its mouth).

My cousin lives up there and has expressed an interest in fly fishing so I brought a rod to give him and we went out fishing for his first time. He only caught one, but it was a beauty of a brown taken on a royal humpy.

The gem of the trip was a hike into a special lake. Absolutely spectacular hike and the fishing was superb. Pulled cruisers on Adams, Takahoppers, Caddis, Ants and Beetles.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Zjory

Looks like you guys are living the life, congrats on an awesome trip and thanks for sharing all those great photos!

flyminded

Reaction score
Sure is pretty up there ....looks like you avoided the smoke up there too, along with some nice fish....big win win in life.

zjory

Reaction score
Sure is pretty up there ....looks like you avoided the smoke up there too, along with some nice fish....big win win in life.
As much as I wish the Lake Christine fire wasn’t burning, it made for a very quiet week up there. I saw 4 other anglers in 6 days of fishing.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
As much as I wish the Lake Christine fire wasn’t burning, it made for a very quiet week up there. I saw 4 other anglers in 6 days of fishing.
Wow, how good is that! Sure does pay to put down some shoe leather to get away from the crowds.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
As much as people complain about crowding in Colorado, it’s as easy as getting a mile off the trailhead to find solitude.
I totally agree, sometimes it's as easy as walking up/down stream a couple hundred yards. LOL!
There is a saying that in Yellowstone NP that over 90% of the anglers stay within sight of their vehicle. Now how hard is it to get away from the crowds when they don't leave sight of the car?

zjory

Reaction score
I totally agree, sometimes it's as easy as walking up/down stream a couple hundred yards. LOL!
There is a saying that in Yellowstone NP that over 90% of the anglers stay within sight of their vehicle. Now how hard is it to get away from the crowds when they don't leave sight of the car?
Exactly. I fish alongside other anglers in winter when tail waters are the only option, but I make a point to find my own stretches in summer. You really only need to get slightly off the beaten path, and I usually go a couple miles in just to be sure. The bonus is the fish are also easier to catch in there.